Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last week I was in a decent 5mm suit and was a comfortable temperature on all dives. My wife really feels the cold and was in a 7mm semidry with a sharkskin vest, she was fine in the water but always chilled getting her suit off on deck. The Red Sea was very windy last week. On the boat there was a proper mix of suits everything from 3mm shorties to full suits and hoods. It depends a bit on how long you stay under, all our dives where around 60mins, while others on the boat would do 40 minute dives - due to air not the cold.

Thanks @drk5036. You may be right... I've onlly ever done lievaboards in warmer waters. I never dive with a 5mm... may go and get myself a full 3mm though
bring your sharkskin too. If you wear that under the 3 mm full suit it might be enough. bring a hood too, makes a big difference.

In case you’re interested, just back from trip:
Temperature at Brothers was 24-25
Temperature at Daedalus was nearer 29.
Took a 3mm wetsuit and was comfortable at brothers, v warm at Daedalus. Cold in the wind on surface but fairly easy to avoid.
Sea was relatively rough but nothing crazy. A fair amount of current at most sites but again, nothing crazy.
Dives were slightly mediocre (compared to same itinerary in July 3 years ago) - saw one Longimanus (a privilege for certain) but not much else.
Boat was a bit disappointing.

I'm heading over there in March, and having some thoughts as well.

According to the tables expected water temperature is around 21C. When diving in Sweden that's about as warm as it ever gets, and I switch to a 5mm wetsuit at around 18-19C and find that comfortable, with hoods and gloves still. That's for single shore dives though. In Egypt I'm not going on a live aboard, but living shoreside and taking typical 2-tank boat dives out. That'll mean an SI at sea.

So I guess I should bring my drysuit just in case? I mean, it feels almost silly to do so, part of the attraction of going abroad to warmer diving locations is to be able to skip the fscking drysuit once in a while, but maybe Egypt in March isn't that?

Hi!
I dove the Brothers last week (January 3rd) and water temperature at depth was 21C, if that helps. I don't think temperatures in March will be any higher, to be honest.

Does anyone have any reliable (personal experience) of the red sea water temperature in November (1st and 2nd week) around BDE?

Trying to find information online but figures range from 18-30 degrees (seatemperature.org, watertemperature.org, scubaboard etc etc)

Any insights from personal experience very welcome...

Thanks in advance
I was in BDE a month later and the water temperatures there were about 23-25C, see Table 1 for more detail, below.

8BC23411-DC98-48E4-A4DB-709C6BADA7A7.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom