Water Temperature Ambergris Caye/San Pedro Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yobubba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ambergris Cayes water temperature for divers
Today’s water temperature is 82F. or 27.7 Degrees Celsius
Celsius to Fahrenheit
Step 1. Multiply the Celsius temperature by 1.8.
Step 2. Add 32. An example:
• 30ºC = (30 x 1.8) + 32 = 86ºF
Fahrenheit to Celsius
Step 1. Subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature.
Step 2. Divide by 1.8. An example:
• 74ºF = (74 - 32) / 1.8 = 23ºC

The dry season runs from March through May. The most predictably good weather for diving is from April through June, when the winds are normally light. Hurricanes hit Belize an average of once every six years. During winter months (mainly December, January, and February), Belize is also subject to northerners that blow down and disrupt diving for several days. Water temperature may dip as low as the 70s in the winter and reach as high as 85° in the summer.http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbt...mbergris_Cayes_water_temperat.html#Post393368

---------- Post added February 17th, 2014 at 09:29 AM ----------

2 mil shorties are what most divers are wearing.

Elbert . . .

What do YOU wear when diving locally at Ambergris Caye? :)

Im heading down at the end of the month for some diving and im wondering this as well. I wore a 2mm shortie in thailand with similiar water temps and was chilly after 35minutes or so. is a 3mm too warm? I normally use my drysuit for everydive up here.

Full 3mm is not too warm. You might also want to take a hood, a chillguard and a windbreaker of some sort for on the boat after dives. Better to have and not need than need and not have. Drysuit ptobably overkill but your call.

A 2 mil shortie does it for most folks but we still have some that prefer long suits. 80 f. is very warm.
usually its the windy boat ride when you wet that gets you chilled.
Wetsuits work against you when your wet and out of the water. It's best to shed it as soon as possible and get on a dry T shirt.

Maybe Elbert (yobubba) is used to the temps but I'm always happy I'm wearing my 3mm. In winter oso happy to wear my chillguard under it and always, glad I brought my hood after a few days when my core temp begins to drop from the cumulative dives.

Just got back from a week of diving off AC. Took my Sharkskin full suit and core warmer (top). Did some dives (generally first of the day) in core warmer and board shorts. Did some others in just the full suit. Cloudy and windy I used them both. Can't go wrong with that setup.

Full suits in the summer (skins) are a pretty good idea there, right Elbert? There's sometimes some stingy and itchy things in the water.

How many dives / time in the water is 3 mm good for in such water. I found that with a 5 mm wetsuit, after 5 dives (won't be doing that again), I was on the cold side.

Given that I can peel it off (at least the top half), is 5 mm ever a bad idea? Newbie here. Most of my diving is in a dry suit in the Puget Sound (though looking forward to heading up to Vancouver Island in August for a wreck diving class).

What time of year will you be going? What time of year were you diving in Roatan?

I dove Ambergris Caye last summer, it was 86F every day. I wore a rash guard and board shorts every day! Then again, I'm not that cold sensitive. Bay Islands was about 82F when I went there last.

Back
Top Bottom