• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Water Temp

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Dave Dillehay, Jan 16, 2020.

1. fishi

fishi Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The reef dying is no joke. Is global warming man made? No one knows. If we change our behavior will it make a difference. No one knows. Is there a chance that if we change our behavior it might make a difference? Yes. It’s really up to you and what you want to do. Would the sane fly on a plane?

markmud likes this.
  2. NDL_Diver

NDL_Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Is the reef dying? Yes between SCTLD and coral bleaching the reefs in Cozumel are in trouble. There is no cure for SCTLD. Coral bleaching takes longer to kill the reef. Temps this Summer the reefs in Cozumel were under Alert 2 for nearly 2 months this year again!

NOAA Coral Reef Watch Gulf of Mexico Virtual Stations

You will see a trend If you look at historical data. Scroll through a two year period and you will see that bleaching is occurring more frequently for longer perods of time over the last 6 or 8 years.

Screenshot_20200117-115338_Firefox.jpg

fishi likes this.
  3. El Graduado

El Graduado Manta Ray

Whoa! Why are you talking about dinosaurs and molten crust? The graphs I included in my post shows global temperatures higher than today 100,000 years ago and the same as today's temps as little as 10,000 years ago. This is way, way after (around 65 million years later) than the end of the Cretaceous Period extinction event you are alluding to, when the dinosaurs died off.

Man and most all of the plants and animals that are around today were also around 100,000 years ago. There was a megafauna (large land mammal) die-off between 9 and 13 thousand years ago, but mega fauna represent only a very small part of the total number of species of land animals. The last mammoth died around 9,500 years ago.

I was not arguing that "just because the planet was warmer when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, it will be ok to rapidly return to that temperature over a short period". Never even hinted that I believed that. No idea where you got that or why you want to paint me with that brush. I was just pointing out that the statement you quoted (“the oceans are the warmest they have ever been”) was incorrect. Now, you are adding to the confusion by trying to twist what I posted… and throw dinosaurs in to boot!

Facts are good things; unfounded accusations... not so much.

4. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Again, yes, of course.

fishi likes this.
  5. Scubagolf

Scubagolf ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    We two in April, too. April 2 - 11.

fishi likes this.
  6. jfcl01

jfcl01 Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    compared to the water temps I've experienced every January since 2001, the water is too warm by at least 3 degrees-possibly more.

7. jfcl01

jfcl01 Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    As is the air temp, but by even more. It is ridiculously warm for mid Jan.

8. BRT

BRT not a soft touch ScubaBoard Supporter

Water temp is higher this year than the last number of years. On the other hand for several years before this we had been seeing colder temperatures each year.

markmud likes this.
  9. anchochile

anchochile Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    When does water temp usually hit its minimum for the year? Should it still be dropping at this point or might it be on its way back up already?

10. fishi

fishi Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Is this sane?

F2-FCFADB-D557-4795-8-E89-F53-BC1-BFDC38.jpg

Do falcons like pretzels or peanuts?

eleniel and ReadyTo Dive like this.