Water temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting ready for March trip. What's the water temp running now?

Getting ready for March trip. What's the water temp running now?
A month colder or warmer than it will be running in March.

You might find this interesting.

I have years of downloaded logs from Cozumel. I check temperature at depth versus temp at approximately 10' - end of dive. About half the time the end of dive is 2 degrees F warmer than depth. About half the time the temp at end of dive is the same as temp at depth. With that in mind...

There's a NOAA buoy about 128 miles southeast of the island. I've been tracking the buoy at this location for years.

Years ago when the buoy here was a 12 meter buoy, I would get a buoy reading that would be about 3 or 4 degrees F above the readings I recorded at depth on the reefs. Didn't seem right.

NOAA changed this buoy (think it was about a year ago?) to a 3 meter buoy. I assume the temperature reading equipment was changed. Since I've been watching the new buoy, it 'seems' to give readings closer to what I get on the reefs.

Note that the temperature is being read 0.6 m below the buoy.

Right now, the buoy is reading 80.8F which seems to compare well with what MMM has reported.

Here's the link to the buoy page - scroll down to the thing that says "Water Temperature (WTMP)"

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42056&unit=E&tz=PST

I dove Cozumel from 1/1/15 thru 1/6/15 and my computer shows all dives were 77*-78*. I think these readings are correct as it also recorded temperatures of 81*-82* on Roatan last October.

Ditto on the recommendation to check the NOAA Weather Buoy data. The website for Station 42056, which is 120 nautical miles ESE of Cozumel, gives close to real time data (hourly reports) on air temps, water temp, wind speed and direction, wave size and direction - all useful info. And while I realize that there can be temperature variation within 120 KTs, baeed on last two Decembers, when I daily checked the Buoy data against my Computer, the water temp data from the Buoy was always within 1.5 degrees Farenheit of what my Computer said - usually within rounding. Buoy data is to 0.1 degree, while my Dive Computer rounds to nearest 1 degree. Current data from Buoy is water temp of 81.1 degrees; I'd be pretty confident that Coz water temp. Is right now between 80-82 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom