Water or Vaccinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it safe to drink the water in Bonaire? What about ice in your drinks?

Furthermore are vaccinations needed for traveling here?

You will likely be fine with no vaccines. However, here's my 2 cents worth on vaccines in that part of the world.

Hepatitis A & B and up to date tetanus. Everyone in the US gets tetanus, but not Hep A/B. Hepatitis can actually be contracted in the US as well, so as an inexpensive vaccine, it's a good idea.

Yellow fever. Your chances of contracting yellow fever in Bonaire are pretty much zero. However, mosquito-born diseases that are eradicated in some areas often return unexpectedly. The Yellow fever mortality rate is about 80%. Again, this is a pretty cheap vaccine. Even with a nearly zero probability of contracting it, I like the peace of mind that comes with protection against such a devastating infection. Also, if I do decide to travel later to an area where it is prevalent, I've got the vaccine.

Bonaire is civilized. You can drink the water, eat the food without anxiety.
hep A, B and tetanus up to date, as per CDC. I would not consider Yellow Fever vaccination or Malaria prophylaxis. All vaccinations and medications have risks, which in this case, are greater than the probability of contracting the diseases.

As others have stated, Bonaire's water comes from desalinization. It is safer than much of the water in the states

Drink the water, ice is fine, just keep the mosquito repellant handy, especially dusk to dawn,. During the day the winds keep them down or blown around, but as soon as the winds die, they feast! Much of the dining is al fresco and still air under tables is prime mosquito real estate. Throw a little pump bottle in truck and don't leave home without it. (Dengue, chikungunya and zika are not the vacation memories you want.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom