water in my ear or....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawrench

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was trying out my newest mask and fins in a pool last night and I was having trouble equalizing at first. after several minutes at the three foot end of the pool I took my mask off and there was a lot of snot in it, but now I could equalize above the water so I tried heading into deeper water (12'). I stayed for a few minutes and then returned to the shallow end where there were fewer people to test my fins. when I got home I felt like I had water in my ear. It cleared up after a while and i went to bed. during the night I woke up I blew my nose and felt pressure in my right rear. today it sounds like my ear is underwater but I can feel a "pop" every time I swallow so I'm not sure if I blew some crap into my middle ear when I blew my nose or if I have water in my outer ear. sometimes when I swallow I do get temperary symptom relief. Thanks for any opinions I'm stuck here at work thinking about it just wanted some your your takes.

Better of going to a doc. They will advise u better.
Generally if i still feel water in my middle ear after a few days i know its usally a bad sign for me and head to the doc incase its an ear infection.

Call the doc. Ear infections get bad quick and are painful if not treated right away. I ignored the first one I got because I didn't regognize the symptoms and paid for it for weeks.

Also, since your stuck at work, ask DAN - https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

most likely it's a squeeze - an inability to equalise causes fluid and possiblyy blood to be forced into the middle ear which leaves you feeling as if you have water stuck in your ear, and your hearing is a little muffled. Ususally this drains away overnight; chewing gum can help as the motion repeatedly stretches and slackens the Eustachian tube. blowing your nose, if you already have a blockage, might force pressure back against the blockage and push what should be draining out back in - so blow gently, as it were.

Water in the outer ear tends to come right back out, and infection in the middle ear is certainly possible after a squeeze, but not the norm. Mostly it gets better by itself after a few hours.

As always, if symptoms persist for more than a couple of days, or it becomes painful, get yourself to the doctor.

Hope that helps,

C.

Last edited:
When I first started diving I had the same problem. It's a lot exercising a muscle that doesn't get used a lot. The first few times are going to be rough. Get in the habit of cleaning your ears post-dive with a drying agent and something that's anti-bacterial.

The perfect thing to use? Some homemade Ear Beer - equal parts rubbing alcohol, peroxide and white vinegar. I flush my ears out after every dive.

A little bit of water in your ear isn't going to kill you, it's what's IN that water that's bad.

I agree with others that you may want to go in, but just to be clear, water can't get from outside to your inner ear unless you pop an ear drum or it goes from your sinuses/mouth through your tubes.

I spent many hours of my life in water as a kid, and as a result trap a lot of water in my outer ear these days after aquatic activity. I use Swimear but there are others that help dry the outer ear to avoid outer ear infections. Water in the outer ear can obviously cause the "underwater" sound sensation, but won't cause popping upon swallowing, which indicates the Eustachian tubes opening/closing.

I also have allergies, and when they're really acting up will get "full ears" which is mucous/swelling in the tubes. Given the amount of snot in your mask, I'd say you either got water in your sinuses, irritating them, or you had a pre-existing issue before the pool (do you have allergies)? Was it a heavily chlorinated pool? Some people have issues with the chlorine irritating breathing passageways and sinuses.

Still, I agree, if you are feeling consistent pressure in your ears, and a consistent sense of hearing underwater, see a doc. Best to nip it in the bud.

Most likely diagnosis: barotitis media (middle ear barotrauma)
It's almost certainly not an outer ear infection (otitis externa a.k.a. "Swimmer's" ear) which can be prevented by the ear beer formulas containing vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

It's important to realize that an ear problem noticed immediately following diving is usually a pressure-related issue rather than an infection (otitis media or otitis externa).

Please read this webpage on the Divers Alert Network website.

I'd try some decongestants for a few days. The issue will likely resolve on its own. Best way to deal with this kind of thing is to prevent it in the first place. Equalize early and often. Pre-pressurize at the surface before descending. Don't go diving if you are at all congested. Treat allergies so that they aren't a problem when diving. For ear equalization techniques, check out the link to Dr. Kay's website in my sig. Lots of great info there.

If the decongestants don't help or the pain increases or you start to have a fever or there's a weird discharge from the ears or it doesn't get better in a few days, definitely see a physician. He/she may be able to give you more options (prescription-based decongestants, corticosteroids to reduce inflammation if necessary, myringotomy is possible if ear pain is incapacitating and intractable). Generally speaking, the physician should take a conservative approach. If a middle ear infection is suspected or the ear drum is already ruptured, then the doctor might prescribe a course of antibiotics.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...

My apologies for not being 100% clear on my post. I was not asking for medical advice but merely looking to capitalize on the vast experience of this board. I was mainly asking your opinions (bast on experience not medical training) if this sounded like an outer ear problem (ie water) or an inner/middle ear problem (ie mucous/infection/squeeze etcc) I'm trying some OTC remedies right now to ward off visits to the doc, but if things continue or get any worse I will make a visit.
To answer a question yest I do have fairly severe allergies but I did not think I was having a problem just yet. If my allergies are causing the problem I might have to delay my open water certification until July or august so I'm hoping I can get a handle on this and get it under control.

What you're describing (the continued popping) is something I STILL get. I've never had a reverse block, but it usually does take me a few hours after a dive for my ears to fully readjust to surface pressure.

I am a Sudafed taker. Have to. I usually take a dose the night before and it works perfectly for me. My sinuses are not the greatest.

Back
Top Bottom