Water entry with the Camera & strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat dive, used to have it handed down, but with currents, trying to hang on and grab a camera and clip it... hehehe... well, just to much hassel... I now, past 3 years, just clip, giant stride, hold camera out and above, bent arms like a shock absorber. Like Wob-Thai, camera above water as I usually only sink to chest deep.. BC inflated etc.. With the fins hitting the water and the arms/elbows absorbing the shock, IMNSHO, it's just like traveling on a bumpy road to the dive site.. or better.. bumpy roads are worse.. no problems so far. I feel these things are trough. The delicate part is the camera and strobes.. Cameras are pretty study for day to day us, naturalists hiking in the mountains, jumping over rocks, logs streams.. the take a soft jolt every now and then. Giant Stride into water is soft, IMNSHO, than jumping across a stream, or rocks..

Beach, just clip, walk and hold to chest level, bent arms, Zodiac, don't do much diving there, but probably the same in a stronger currrent - back roll... it worries me more that it gets dropped down some 600' wall more than "Shocking" it on entry...

Coming back, normally hand it up, but have it clipped if going up with it.. a little tougher, but doable ....most times anyway...
Hope that helps...

I am often the boat capt and divemaster/photographer with a small boat. That means I am the last one in the water after helping everyone else in and often do the "easy slide" entry with my camera held up over my head and do a little kick as I slip off the boat to keep my camera out of the water until I am settled. Then off I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom