Water clarity at shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
To those that search the edge of the surf for teeth, forget your sieves and shovels...the water is so clear at the sand ledge you can actually see your feet in knee deep water...grab your mask/snorkel and pick those teeth off the bottom before the winds change and the emerald green waters return.

OK...so make a liar out of me...I went in today to look for my lost fin and to look for teeth on the surface at the edge of surf. The fin is long gone so that issue is settled...the sandbar that was boxing my fin in has disappeared.

Underwater
the viz in waist deep water is about 10' horizontally.You can actually stand there and see your feet. I have only been coming here ( Gulf Coast ) the past few years and I come this time of year. This is the first time for me that I have been able to see bottom while standing offshore 20'...usually it is all riled up and silty.

Anyway I spent 2 hours searching the shallows/edge surfline with mask/snorkel in 1-2 feet water. I went to my hotspot and did not find 1 tooth on the top of the rubbley/sandy bottom in those 2 hours. I found a full bag of nice shells though. I exited the water and went back to the same spot with shovel/sieve. I was there another 1 1/2 hours and found 130 teeth.

Go figure...oh well back to the tried and true method of sifting.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom