Watch your Paypal account carefully!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my Paypal acct hacked a few months ago as well...I keep no $ in that acct, but Paypal claimed I owed them $, I don't really understand the details......some criminal defrauded a 3rd party, and somehow that 3rd party was trying to do some sort of chargeback on my acct! Paypal did it's investigation, and reversed this 'chargeback'......but as the fraudulent transaction was processed in Euros and happened in Europe, even after the original fraud was cleared off my account, I still ended up with a small residual charge from Paypal involving currency exchange rates, so I they still said I owed them about $ 5 U.S.....so I had to get with Paypal to do a follow up look at my account, and they did remove that currency exchange loss differential off my account.....just a pain to worry about it, felt 'violated', and got me ever more paranoid. I'm pretty sure it was a Russian hacker, the Russian mob is the world leader/originator in internet crime/fraud (the Russians steal for money, the Chinese steal for industrial secrets) and my 'event' was transacted in Europe.

Last year had my debit card account 'hacked' for about $ 800 (yet another 'European theft')....got that $ back to after my bank completed it's investigation.

Definitely a needed reality check... Scary DEF CON article -- you have to figure for each do-gooder hacker, there are multiple less inclined to be so magnanimous...

Just went through and made most of my financial passwords much stronger...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom