Wassisa and Chipola River Spring Runs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone taken a small boat, canoe, or kayak down the Wacissa River run to dive the springs? I'm curious about the average depths of the river as well as how wide the runs are? Is there an abundance of fallen trees and limbs submerged shallow to puncture inflatable boats and ding up props?

How are the springs themselves?

Pretty much all the same questions go for the Chipola River Spring run as well :wink:

We dove the Wasisca a few times last year. You can get an inflatiable there with no problem. The only spring worth diving is Big Blue. It's on the East side of the river not hard to get to at all. There is a floating platform there so you can use it to gear up. It's about 30 or 35 feet deep. There is a few limbs there and the shoot it cool to look at. The average water dept on the way to Big Blue probable averages 4 to 5 feet. It is one of the most prestine places I've canoed and dove. It would be worth diving just to enjoy the scenery of the river itself. Hope you enjoy.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Has anyone taken a small boat, canoe, or kayak down the Wacissa River run to dive the springs? I'm curious about the average depths of the river as well as how wide the runs are? Is there an abundance of fallen trees and limbs submerged shallow to puncture inflatable boats and ding up props?

How are the springs themselves?

Pretty much all the same questions go for the Chipola River Spring run as well :wink:
Of course I have. Caston is accuracte on the Wacissa. The Chipola up near the park is pretty shallow with lots of limbs. We did it with a ganoe and made it through and its easy to canoe, but anything larger would be a problem. Bozell spring you have to get out and walk the canoe up the run as its pretty shallow. Id like to try out both of those again sometime this summer or sooner.

By the way:
Both of these rivers are great for artifact finding. I know of some areas where it is prohibited to collect on the Wassica but there is a sign marking it. I have found many pieces of pottery on the Slave Canal. ( Slave Canal connects Wassica and the Aucilla). Don't even think diving it, it's only a few inches deep, you just need a mask and snorkel. Anyway....It's a blast, you need to give it a shot.

You heard them Mat! Lets go.

WaterDawg:
You heard them Mat! Lets go.

I'm thinking if Morrison doesn't clear up by next weekend(2-26/27) this may be a suitable replacement :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom