Was it DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just returned from a liveaboard overseas. At the end of the 3rd day of the trip and after the 12th dive (4 dives a day), a fellow diver calmly told me, he was not feeling well and was experiencing tingling over his hands and legs and on both sides of the body. I was immediately concerned and so we notified the trip leader and after a short check up by a dive chamber medic (who just happened to be diving with us), he was put on oxygen. After several hours and no improvement, the decision was made to pull anchor and do a 'speed run' to shore and get him to the nearest chamber, which we did.

Last I heard he went into the chamber, but I never got confirmation that is was DCS, some on board the boat thought that DCS symptoms tingling or numbness usually occur on one side of the body or another, not both sides. Is this true? Others thought it might have been just dehydration?

I'm anxious to find out the outcome of this case, as the diver was of apparently in normal health, mid 30's, and was not smoking or drinking during the trip. His profile was no different that any of the other 19 guest on board.

I'm quite curious about this case from strictly a diving/medical side of things as the tour operator did no wrong and handled the case in a positive manner in my opinion.

Hello tboxcar:

A set of symptoms such as you described following a dive would be very suggestive of DCS. Administration of oxygen and a return to the shore for hyperbaric treatment would definitely be in order – as was done.

Yes, DCS can present on both sides of the body in a symmetrical fashion. It is not necessary that it be one-sided. [It would be very suggestive of a gas embolism to the brain if, for example, the right arm and right leg are both affected.] In this case, it is possible for the lesions to be at both the level of the spinal cord and the brain. [I certainly cannot say without an examination, and I am not a physician, in any case.]

This problem could have been the result of nitrogen accumulation over several days of diving and/or exertion that could have resulted in gas bubbles shifting to the arterial side of the circulation.

Nothing mentioned in your post indicates to me the exact cause of the DCS incident.

Dr Deco : doctor:

Definitely something not to play around with. While my medical background only amounts to Emergency Medical Technician I think fellow medical personnel would agree that it is always best to assume the worst and give the best treatment available. In this case I believe the actions taken were totally appropriate.

Keep in mind that DCS susceptibility varies from person to person, and even day to day. Just because others with similar or even identical profiles were not exhibiting symptoms does not mean this person could not have had DCS. If it were my call, I would have done exactly as they did, except I may not have waited as long as they did to decide on transpo to a Hospital/Chamber.

Hi:

Someone asked about "Anubis." "Anubis" is from a hotel in Cairo where I stayed, in front of the gift shop.
:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom