Was I completely insane? (Blue Hole as first dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings. I recently got back from a vacation in Belize. Things I have heard and read since then lead me to believe I may have done something perhaps dangerous and, well, completely insane. Namely, a friend and I went diving to 130ft in the Blue Hole as our first non-training dive. Yep. Very first dive.
<snip>
So, tell me....did we do something very stupid?
First let me say thank you for posting this - others will benefit from your experience.

Stupid is what the dive operation did. They convinced you that a dive to this depth is no big deal - that's the stupid part. So many new divers are all to eager and depth obsessed that they tend to jump at the chance to enter a plus 100' dive in their newly printed logbook. And some shops know it.

I trust this lesson will sink in and you continue to dive, albeit a little closer to your training level. Have fun, get more training and most of all be safe and have fun diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom