Warranty info Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarx1

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased an Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus 2 air/nitrox computer with the compass and quick-disconnect from an authorized dealer in town. I was told that even though the battery was diver replaceable, I would have to have an authorized dealer replace the battery or the warranty would be voided. Is this true? I upgraded to this model from the Oceanic DataMax and was not told about this before.

Never heard of it,4 screws,1 O-ring and one battery.No problem.
I let all my customers do it,when they want to.
If they can do it,so can you.:D

I just purchased an Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus 2 air/nitrox computer with the compass and quick-disconnect from an authorized dealer in town. I was told that even though the battery was diver replaceable, I would have to have an authorized dealer replace the battery or the warranty would be voided. Is this true? I upgraded to this model from the Oceanic DataMax and was not told about this before.

If what the dealer is telling you were true Oceanic would not call it a "User replaceable" battery. It sounds like the dealer is trying to make money selling you the battery and service,

I own 3 Aeris (Oceanic sister company) ATMOS AI dive computers (wife, daughter & mine) and I replace my own batteries that I pick up a Radio Shack. I keep a spare battery with us for each dive computer. Two years ago we needed to replace the battery in my daughter's ATMOS AI just prior to a dive at Caracas Bay in Curacao. We simply took out a quarter and unscrewed the battery port cover replaced the battery and port cover and she was all set for the dive.

That is why the slot's so big! They thought it would be easier for someone to use a quarter or nickel instead of a small dime that could be dropped or possibly screw up the cover. If you get a veo or vt3 they come with a battery replacement tool. What are you supposed to do. Take it to the dealer and say, here's the tool replace my battery? No all of their stuff is very user friendly and if it says user replaceable it is and will not void the warranty. Tell the shop they're full of it. Now I will caution you to be careful of the oring and inspect it. It comes in a kit the dealer will sell you with a new battery or there's a guy on ebay selling battery kits for most user replaceable comps. Comes with oring, small tube of silicone grease and a batt.

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think the dealer was correct. I've never had a problem with replacing the battery myself on my first Oceanic Datamax so I didn't think this would be an issue with the new computer either.

Ok, so what if you change your battery yourself and it floods? Is this covered under warranty? My LDS tells me that if they change it and it floods then its on their dime.

What do you think?

I guess that's a question for Oceanic. I did try to send an e-mail to Oceanic via their website but had a problem. Calling customer services may be the next step. I would hate to find out the warranty was voided just because I changed the battery myself. Having an authorized dealer change out the battery every time may not always be convenient.

It depends on how comfortable you are doing it. It's not difficult to check the oring and make sure it's ok. If there is any doubt however take it to a dealer if you're not comfortable doing it. I will say they are very good about honoring warranties and unless you show obvious neglect or really damage the cover or oring it may still be ok. Why not PM Doug Krause here on the board? Get his opinion. As an added note if you've never done this before or seen it done you might think twice. Why not go to your lds and ask to watch them change it or show you how to do it properly, it takes less than 10 minutes. If they refuse find another shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom