Warranties on Used Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cinjodi

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading the discussions surrounding online vs. LDS purchases and whether or not there is a warranty. But what about when you purchase gear that is a year or two old from an individual who bought from a LDS? It was a warranty-qualified purchase, right? So does the warranty remain in effect?

How does a shop know if there is a warranty or not? What if you're traveling and in another country, etc.? How does anyone know where you got your gear?

The gear bought at our shop is registered automatically over the internet to the buyer with the manufacture. It includes their name and the product serial number. there is a form that we have to fill out when warranty work is done. If the name and serial number don't match they don't pay.

Hallmac

So only the original purchaser has warranty rights? Or is there a way to transfer warranty?

If I were to buy gear from an individual/original purchaser the shrewd thing to do would be to have them take the items in to be serviced prior to me buying them, right? Or otherwise, discount the price for BC and reg by a couple of hundred $ and pay for service myself?

Do the consoles with computer, guage, and compass also need inspection/service? And if so, how much does that cost?

Yea have it serviced first then buy it. Have the shop that services it call the manufacture and see if they will transfer the warrantee. Some will some won't.
As for the console there are things to have checked out and replaced. Air spool o-rings, hose ends, corroision and guage accuracy are generally done during inspection. We charge $4.50 for the service including parts and the dive in a chamber. I don't know what others charge or do.

Hallmac

Warrenties are usually for the original owner and can't be transfered.

our LDS. The BC's were Demo's "used".

The LDS made it very clear that there were no warranties on these BC's. Since they were used.

I don't understand why a warranty should be void if the annual service has always been done and there is (or could be) a registered change in ownership, but I accept that this is the case.

There is some good equipment that is within the brand range and type that I've been considering, and it's being offered at a price that is 2/3 of what was paid for it. It was only used a couple of times but I agree that it should be serviced before I consider purchasing it. But then the equipment has a decreased value even after that because every annual checkup it will be subject to "unwarrantied" costs. So I am weighing it all together.

This also scares me off of buying my own gear new from a dealer because I know that simply taking possession of it (like a Cadillac off of the lot), it loses at least half of its value. Very Scary. Almost enough to make me reconsider and only rent my gear for the few times that I might use it.

I was hoping that with our own gear we would use it for weekend local dives around Texas,etc. and expand our knowledge and experience and meet great folks to share good times with. It is seeming very expensive to go this route.

Thank you so much for explaining the warranty situation. I appreciate the assistance.

Cinjodi once bubbled...
...This also scares me off of buying my own gear new from a dealer because I know that simply taking possession of it (like a Cadillac off of the lot), it loses at least half of its value. Very Scary. Almost enough to make me reconsider and only rent my gear for the few times that I might use it....

These are considerations and only you can make the decision that is right for you. I would argue that the decrease in value from diving new equipment is irrelevant. You will most likely dive the equipment (new or used) until it is no longer usable. Therefore making the paper loss in value irrelevant.

Each of us must make the decision that is right for us, our experience, expected type of diving and pocket book. But I am concerned that you may be over emphasizing the money aspect. You are not investing for profit here, you are investing in life support equipment .

But before you make your final decision, let us review some relevant numbers.
Cost of new equipment. Advantage: If purchased for licensed dealer, mfg warranty, and implied years of use if properly maintained. You know its maintenance history. Disadvantage: Paper loss of value when you walk out door. Value decreases with age and improvements in technology. Cost of annual service.

Cost of used equipment – Advantage: Cheaper. Disadvantage: No warranty, unknown maintenance history, reliable? Value decreases with age and improvements in technology. Annual service cost.

Renting equipment every dive: Advantage: if you dive infrequently this is cost effective. No annual service cost, no purchase cost etc. No decrease in value. Disadvantage: Every dive you have different equipment, you are not necessarily familiar with and of course the cost of renting equipment every dive. If you get a different model or brand one dive, you could find yourself having a problem, with gear you don’t know by heart.

And finally, before we squeeze the last penny out of the purchase of equipment, consider the cost of a funeral. I put that in just to keep things in perspective. This is LIFE SUPPORT equipment you are buying. Cost is a factor, but safety and reliability should be the first consideration and last. Buying quality, reliable equipment is cheap compared to the cost of dying.

bought my own equipment in 1989-1990. Everything new. Reg, BC, wetsuit, lights, weights, etc. Everything except tanks, since I was working on my DM and later as a DM, I had free use of tanks whenever I wanted.

I had no worries about repairs, annuals, replacement, etc.

I sold everything in 2000 (idiot!), as I thought I would not be diving anymore. Since I bought everything at cost or cost +10%, I was very fortunate, and didn't take as big a hit when I sold.

Now, I have gotten back into diving and am working on becoming an instructor. I am buying gear again, and would recommend the following.

Regs, BC - New. Initial cost is higher, but as others have stated, this can (and usually does) save money in the long run. Invest in quality equipment, with the idea of keeping it for 10 years. Amortize the cost over those 10 years, then figure out how many rentals you could get each year for that money. Then compare that to buying used and having to pay higher costs for annual inspections, since no warranty is involved, plus any kind of repair. Your initial savings of buying used can (and usually does) evaporate vey quickly.

Then there are the intangibles like peace of mind. I like knowing that I am the only one that has ever used my reg or BC. I know that they get serviced when, where, and how they should. I know that at 120', when I want a breath of air, I am 99.999999999999999% sure I'll get it. I know my BC will reliably inflate because it has not been abused. Peace of mind goes a long way to promoting a more confident, comfortable dive.

Other items like wetsuits, lights, maks, fins, etc. - judgement call. It personally will buy some things in these catagories used, but it needs to be a "hands on" purchase where I can try it on, inspect it myself.

We own all gear but BC's, regs, and computers. So it sounds like we should buy the stuff new and be done with it.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom