WARNING - bad tide charts - DST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken abucs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We did a dive today in an area with severe tidal currents. As always we checked the tide charts, and planned for slack tide. At the end of the dive we found ourselves fighting significant currents. We ended up getting separated, and coming up on opposite sides of the channel. After a few harrowing minutes (and one 911 call), I found my buddy safely on the surface. He knew where I was all along, because I had the dive flag. Fortunately I found him before the calvary came a charging.

We had a second dive planned for an area with even greater currents. When we got there we surveyed the situation, and decided it didn't look right and bailed. If we had dived, we could have got ourselves in serious trouble.

IF YOUR DIVE PLANNING IS DEPENDANT ON TIDE CHARTS MAKE SURE YOU DOUBLE CHECK THEM UNTIL WE GET PASSED THIS DST BS.

EDIT: After double checking the web site, I found a disclaimer in small print saying it wasn't corrected for DST. (thanks guys) I deleted the URLs from this post to protect the guilty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom