Warmer or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive in New England. I'm thinking of selling off my first born to afford some lavacore (kidding, no one freak out). Is it worth it? Does anyone think it adds warmth?
Sure, it seem nice and comfortable, but does it keep you warmer?

Are you looking at Lavacore in addition to, or in place, of a "regular" wetsuit?

A general rule of thumb is that Lavacore products give about the equivalent insulation as 1.5 - 2mm of neoprene. The big advantage that I see is that they are neutrally buoyant so if you use it as an additional layer, you can do it without any noticeable impact on your buoyancy.

Last edited:
That's great to know! Definitely a big plus in the warmth category! Thanks!

I far prefer Hyperflex polyolefin suits. A ton less expensive and every bit as good (under a wetsuit). https://www.amazon.com/Hyperflex-We...TF8&qid=1421764298&sr=1-7&keywords=polyolefin

Additionally, I have some LavaCore socks. The Merino wool (or some part of the LavaCore) is supposed to be anti-odor. Yeah right. Everytime I wear them diving I soak, rinse, and dry, and they come out with a smell that would gag a maggot. Can't get rid of it with a vinegar nor a baking soda soak. I'm going to try Sink the Stink before my next trip. BTW, I don't have this problem with any other sock.

Thanks for the thought! I'll definitely check out Hyperflex.

Sharkskins another alternative.

Hi @DevilEyeDog

The exposure protection that made the most difference for me was a hooded vest. I dive a 5/3 mm hooded best with any of my full suits, 3, 5, 7 mm, whenever I need more warmth. It's easy to always throw it into the dive bag. I've dived my 7mm with the hooded vest down to the low 50s comfortably, high 40s tolerably. If I dived wet in cold water more frequently, I'd think about getting a 7/5 mm hooded vest.

I have a long sleeve Lavacore top, it's not particularly warm. I only use it alone with swim trunks when the water is very warm. I don't have any other uses for it.

How's your Cattle Dog?

Good, warm diving, Craig

Sell of your first-borne (they only cause problems anyways! (I am one) ) and get a dry-suit in stead!

I am not sure if Lavacore adds too much warmth beyond 1.5mm but what I love about it is when you put it on wet (after removing it between dives), it feels warm unlike a neoprene vest. I love my hooded vest but I do not dive on the east coast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom