Warm water fins: what's inexpensive, can take springs, and frog kick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found an older thread about this but it didn't have a good consensus.

I am headed to Roatan next month and I want to ditch my split fins that I used to use on vacation for a fin that I can better frog kick with. It should be light for air travel, and hopefully not too expensive. Lastly, it needs to support spring straps.

Anyone have a good candidate? Thanks!

Jets. Done.

I was hoping to find something lighter. :) Surely one of the many multicolored, gimmicky looking wussy warm water vacation diver fins isn't THAT bad?

I was hoping to find something lighter. :) Surely one of the many multicolored, gimmicky looking wussy warm water vacation diver fins isn't THAT bad

OMS Slipstreams. Not as stiff at Jets, but lighter. (And with a little bit of red, I guess you could say they are "multicolored")

:d

OMSSLIPSTREAMFins.jpg

Thanks, those look great.

Unless you have huge feet, slipstreams would be hard to make work for a warm water diver. Fins are tough to recommend since everyone likes something different. I like my dive rite's and they're light but not so cheap. Come with spring straps though...

Willem

http://www.divegearexpress.com/essentials/diveritefins.shtml

I found some other threads talking about sizing and I think they may work. I have a pair of Jets that I can inspect for sizing comparison.

I will take a look at the Dive Rites too, thanks. They are about $120 shipped which is not exactly cheap, but not bad for a good fin with spring straps.

Unless you have huge feet, slipstreams would be hard to make work for a warm water diver.

:confused:

I found some other threads talking about sizing and I think they may work. I have a pair of Jets that I can inspect for sizing comparison.

XL Slipstreams are essentially the same size as XL Jets, which I wear with size 10 Scubapro Delta booties. No problem.

I wear XL Slipstreams and if anything they are on the small size - I wear a size 9 street shoe. These are great fins, a knock-off of the Jets with less weight. If you happen to be foot heavy these will help with buoyancy problems (compared to Jets).

I have XL Jets & XL Slipstreams. There's not enough difference in size to notice, but the OMS weigh over 1 lb less per fin.

Personally, I can't tell the difference in performance when diving.

Back
Top Bottom