Warm water drysuit undergarment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm heading back to key largo to do my MSDT classes. Being in NE one of the specialities I'm picking is drysuit.

I'm very experienced diving a drysuit but usually in mid 80 water temp I'm doing a 3mm wetsuit.

I'm bringing a tri-lam drysuit and I'm wondering 1st what to use for undergarments in those water and air temps and how to adjust my weight.

Probably just your base layer! Although you might need to wear the thick socks so your boots aren’t really loose on your feet.

I did the Goliath Dives last month in South Florida, water temp in the mid 80s, just in my base layers. Weight wise, I did a weight check with a local charter in the Gulf of Mexico (as the South Florida dives are drift so weight checks would be hard), so being Key Largo, just go out and do a proper weight check on your first dive, or show up a day ahead and do a weight check.

A thin set like the Xerotherms might be helpful if you are here during a cold snap. Particularly if you are diving deeper sites near the Gulf Stream, the GS can be quite cold in the winter. Combine that with cold (for us) air temps and the wind of the boat, you might get a little chilly.

I have dived dry down there. The most I would wear is my Seaskin Tech Base layer, which is like Under Armour Cold gear. If the water is in the 80s, I would probably just wear shorts and a t-shirt and that's all. As @Marie13 said, also with whatever socks may be needed to keep my suit's boot from being too loose. My trilam has socks, instead of boots, so I would just wear a thin ankle-high sock.

For weight, I would wear whatever you wear in a 3mm wetsuit, at most.

Thanks everyone I have some sweat wicking gym shorts. I was worried bare legs under would be uncomfortable but my merino base would be too warm.

Thanks everyone I have some sweat wicking gym shorts. I was worried bare legs under would be uncomfortable but my merino base would be too warm.

I wouldn’t have bare legs or arms under. When I first got certified (OW/drysuit at the same time), I made the mistake of wearing a short sleeved wicking top under my drysuit. Arms were dripping when I was done with the dive and it really wasn’t comfortable having drysuit against bare skin.

Pickup a very thin wicking layer from REI or the like.

Under Armor heat gear weight pants and long sleeve shirt. You can wear a t-shirt to absorb sweat over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom