Warm, light, flexible drysuit for old guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shell suits have no inherent warmth, right. Nor is the material very flexible usually.
A GOOD compressed neoprene suit will add warmth and some flexibility

Huh?

I have a Bare XCS2 Tech (compressed neoprene) and a Waterproof D9X (shell suit).

The shell suit is WAY more flexible than the neoprene. It's not stretchy, like the neoprene, but it fits loose enough to not need to stretch.

The shell suit has a telescopic torso, which also makes it way easier for me to put on and take off. They are both diagonal front zip, but since the neoprene suit has no extra length in the torso, I have to really bend my neck and scrunch myself to get it over my head. The shell suit telescopes plenty long enough to get over my head with no contortions.

The neoprene suit is great when surface conditions are cool to cold, and miserable if it's a warm summer day when I'm out diving at the quarry. The breathable shell suit I have is pleasant even on a pretty darn warm day. They are both plenty comfy with the right undies on, in the 37F degree local quarry water.

Is the flexibility a function of the design, or the material? I haven't been in a 'modern' shell suit in ages. The old ones had to be baggy to allow for movement (no stretch at all) which made for a large bubble and coarser air management. The shrink wrap wrinkled suit did not enhance streamlining.

When I moved to a 5mm compressed neo suit I dropped 6# and my bottom time went up 10-15 minutes based on the combination of warmth and streamlining.
In general my wife and I spend 10-15 minutes longer on any given Sound dive than our Club mates. We are small and skinny, not the best body type for cold water diving. Believe me, we are not cold resistant. On the couple times I've gone back to my bi-lam shell (very thick undergarment), I have to add 4" and I get colder.

Why would anyone dive a 37* quarry? :poke: :D

Last edited:
You're really asking about two different, but related, things: suit flexibility, and staying warm. Since we've dove together for a while I have some insight into your financial constraints, and suggest you address the warmth issue first. A new shell isn't going to keep you any warmer.

Please look into a good, thick, set of thinsulate undies and/or one of those heater units.

And keep diving.

Is the flexibility a function of the design, or the material? I haven't been in a 'modern' shell suit in ages. The old ones had to be baggy to allow for movement (no stretch at all) which made for a large bubble and coarser air management. The shrink wrap wrinkled suit did not enhance streamlining.

When I moved to a 5mm compressed neo suit I dropped 6# and my bottom time went up 10-15 minutes based on the combination of warmth and streamlining.
In general my wife and I spend 10-15 minutes longer on any given Sound dive than our Club mates. We are small and skinny, not the best body type for cold water diving. Believe me, we are not cold resistant. On the couple times I've gone back to my bi-lam shell (very thick undergarment), I have to add 4" and I get colder.

Why would anyone dive a 37* quarry? :poke: :D

ONLY for training, practice, and testing gear! It does suck! LOL

I take the same weight in either of my suits, with the same undies.

My shell suit feels like it has less loose air running around inside, to me. I definitely have less trouble in my shell suit with air running down into my feet and trying to drag me upside down. I feel like under water, suit squeeze squeezes more air out of my shell suit.

Back
Top Bottom