wants to take up UW photography, suggestions on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a young diver (18), just started diving, and am interested in getting into UW photography. I have been diving primarily in the northeast (massachusetts), so not the best visibility or the most light.
The first thing I was wondering was what people would recommend as a first camera. I don't have a ton of money (typical college student) but will be picking up a few grand this summer at a marine biology internship. From what I know, nmy two main options are just a standard point and shoot camera with an underwater housing, or a full package with the strobe and all. I'm not sure that I could afford the strobe and a nice camera, so one of my main questions here is whether it is worth getting a point and shoot camera at all? It seems like it might be a good way to try this out, and have something until I can afford something better, however, I've never used it, so I dont know if it would just be a waste of money. any input on specific models of cameras, or just generally what I should do would be appreciated.

the other question I had was if anyone has any guides they particularly like online. Something that I could read and learn from. My dad is pretty into photography (on land), so I have some basic concepts from him, however I'm sure that there are different issues with UW photography (light? refraction) so anything that would help me would be appreciated as well.

thanks

Matthew,
You may check at e-bay or classified for obsolete camera such as Oly SP-350 plus UW housing PT-030, the best prosumer camera for UW at its era. You can use it without probe - internal flash only - for macro; or shoot at RAW or manual WB for WA. The canon G9 is also descent camera, If you can afford, the new Oly XZ-1 is another good choice, it will cost you approx. USD 800 for the camera and housing. Later you can buy strobe.
Click the link below my signature - my daughters blog - and you will see what these camera can produce.
However, make sure you have good buoyancey control before handling camera underwater.
Have fun

Wisnu, your daughter takes awesome pics! Thanks for sharing :D

p.s. I am so jealous. I would love to 1. take those kind of pics, and 2. be in the situation to be able to take those pics! :D :cool2: :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom