Wanting to get first backplate and wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To bolt the wing to the BP, I use either 1 1/4 (part #93180A325) or 1 1/2 (part # 93180A330) "316" SS carriage bolts with either these DSS delrin nuts or the Oxycheq speednuts.

It also helps to have the little plastic retaining washers (part #91755A230) that hold the bolt in place which makes it a lot easier to get the bolts through the STA/Wing/BP and it then holds the square part of the carriage bolt in the square hole of the STA which makes it easy to tighten the nuts. I take mine apart every dive to clean so it makes things easier.

My new Dive Rite ss plate, harness and 2in crotch strap came today. It came with all ss d rings and keepers even had the sleeves to keep the harness from digging into the plate. Scuba Toys had the plate on sale for $89.00 and free shipping (the cheapest I can find new). I will get the tank straps and my wing at later date.
The only thing is I got it adjusted tonight and the straps that go under your arms hurts my arm pits (feels like the edge of harness digs in). I am afraid to loosen up the harness because when I get everything and dive it I don't want it to move on me. Any suggestions?

Better to be too loose than too snug IMO.

If it is too loose and "floats" on your body, what's wrong with that? Think about it.

if you are a hiker who worries about gravity, rubbing and abrasions, I get it...

Biggest mistake I see with BPW, is people getting them to tight.

Thanks splitlip I will loosen it up some.

Yup. You can read the directions about plate placement and spacing behind the shoulder straps (one palm) but we are not all the same. It should not be so tight so as to hurt.

I am a big offender who wants everything tight like a skydive rig. (Brain fart. My friends who had trouble with biting and cutting rigs ARE skydivers.)

Anyway. Start out a little looser and adjust as needed.

Splitlip,
Where is this from? "They called themselves Guerrilla Divers.
Composed of elite divers with Macho mentalities, back when men were men, and FEAR was a lispy companion of the common Man. It was a time before insurance liabilities, lawsuits or beauracratic regulation of the "sport". Guerrilla divers didn't need "Buoyancy Compensator Vests". In fact, "Anyone who needs a BC deserves to drown" was a popular adage. Exploration and the Hunt came first, excitement and fun followed. Safety was the stepchild of fitness, good reflexes and a cool head.
This was a time of great Adventure."

Those were the days...

From here.

DEEP DIVE

Dan Volker's article. He is a regular here on the Board.

I am now looking for tank straps for my backplate. I hope that is the correct name. I found these at a site Mike S sent me in a PM. Enclosed is a link for these. What would you suggest? I like it because the strap is not one piece.Meaning you don't have to slide the backplate over the top of the tank. Not that it is hard to do, but it seems like it would be easier to take the wing off and on.

Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band w/ Quick Release

I am now looking for tank straps for my backplate. I hope that is the correct name. I found these at a site Mike S sent me in a PM. Enclosed is a link for these. What would you suggest? I like it because the strap is not one piece.Meaning you don't have to slide the backplate over the top of the tank. Not that it is hard to do, but it seems like it would be easier to take the wing off and on.

Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band w/ Quick Release

I would have bought these when I got some if I'd known they had quick disconnect buckles.

Not sure what you mean about taking the wing on/off. Maybe you mean the whole BP/W sliding up/down.

I think the quick disconnect would be a little easier than sliding two tight wet straps with rubber tank-band holders on them, over the top of the tank.

Here's the video from the above URL website.

[youtubehq]3RMkwrfHdWc[/youtubehq]

I would have bought these when I got some if I'd known they had quick disconnect buckles.

Not sure what you mean about taking the wing on/off. Maybe you mean the whole BP/W sliding up/down.

I think the quick disconnect would be a little easier than sliding two tight wet straps with rubber tank-band holders on them, over the top of the tank.

Here's the video from the above URL website.

[youtubehq]3RMkwrfHdWc[/youtubehq]

I was just meaning in the case I needed to remove my wing from my plate. Unless I want never need to do this. I don't know if removing the wing is needed is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom