For Sale Wanted, Stainless steel backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about VDH? Bryan's plate is only $75

the dgx is 10 dollars more unless if LP puts the blue reef on sale. 10 dollars is worth it for the better finish imo.

I'm seeing $70 for the BR and $75 for the DGX SS plate. The DGX price has come down since last I looked.

Yeah, at that price, I would definitely go for the DGX.

DGX has the best return policy in the industry. Unlimited time for returns with full store credit. 30 days for an actual refund.

Also, the DGX description mentions a flatter fit against your back. The BR plate is not very flat. It's a non-issue for doubles. But, I suppose a flatter plate might be slightly nicer for single tank use. Not enough that I would pay an extra $30 for. But, an extra $5 and buying from a dive gear retailer that has GREAT customer service and an return policy that is THE BEST (that I know of), it's a no-brainer.

Between the VDH and the DGX, both at $75, it's kind of a toss-up.

The DGX can be used with singles or doubles. And it's SS, so it would take 5 - 6 # of lead off your belt.

The VDH is only for single tank. I think it doesn't weigh much, but I'm not sure if there is a spec that is published for its buoyancy. And, you might end up still wanting an STA to hold a single tank up off your back just a little. Also, a long tank (or a short diver) might result in the tank riding on the diver's butt. (I do like the rail on my Freedom plate that holds the butt of the tank out a bit further than the top)

I'm seeing $70 for the BR and $75 for the DGX SS plate. The DGX price has come down since last I looked.

Yeah, at that price, I would definitely go for the DGX.

DGX has the best return policy in the industry. Unlimited time for returns with full store credit. 30 days for an actual refund.

Also, the DGX description mentions a flatter fit against your back. The BR plate is not very flat. It's a non-issue for doubles. But, I suppose a flatter plate might be slightly nicer for single tank use. Not enough that I would pay an extra $30 for. But, an extra $5 and buying from a dive gear retailer that has GREAT customer service and an return policy that is THE BEST (that I know of), it's a no-brainer.

Between the VDH and the DGX, both at $75, it's kind of a toss-up.

The DGX can be used with singles or doubles. And it's SS, so it would take 5 - 6 # of lead off your belt.

The VDH is only for single tank.

Are you sure it's only single tank?

Here's ad copy from website:
"Stainless Steel DIR style back plate. Plate weighs 4lb 12oz, measures 15 3/4" long by 10" wide. For single or double cylinder use. Multiple slots for bands and harness attachment."

Lots more mounting holes & slots depending upon what wing and harness you like. Bryan is a great guy to work with if you have issues.

Are you sure it's only single tank?

Here's ad copy from website:
"Stainless Steel DIR style back plate. Plate weighs 4lb 12oz, measures 15 3/4" long by 10" wide. For single or double cylinder use. Multiple slots for bands and harness attachment."

Lots more mounting holes & slots depending upon what wing and harness you like. Bryan is a great guy to work with if you have issues.

Hmmm.... I'll go with "it's single tank only without adding any extra hardware." How's that? I won't say there is not some way to mount an adapter of some type that would let you affix doubles. But, normal doubles bands have bolts that point forward and go through the spine channel of a normal back plate. Wing nuts on the diver's side of the plate hold the plate to the doubles. Obviously, that wouldn't work with a flat plate.

Hard to beat a plate from Deep Sea Supply in California. One of the few plates that you can add weight plates to for almost zero lead on the hips.
Unless Tobin pulls his "mightier than thou" attitude and assume that he knows you and your diving parameters better than you (even though he has never met me nor dived in Kwajalein) and refuse to sell you some. What an arrogant engineer. :(

BTW...there is nothing special about DSS Plates except SB hype.

Hmmm.... I'll go with "it's single tank only without adding any extra hardware." How's that? I won't say there is not some way to mount an adapter of some type that would let yo Iu affix doubles. But, normal doubles bands have bolts that point forward and go through the spine channel of a normal back plate. Wing nuts on the diver's side of the plate hold the plate to the doubles. Obviously, that wouldn't work with a flat plate.
Looks pretty standard to me.
Anyway, 6 of one, half dozen of another.
Just wanted to give the OP more options from guys that are SB-friendly (@OWIC647).
Screenshot_20180403-140724.png

Aha! I thought you were talking about this one, which used to be $75.

450778986.jpg

The one you're talking about seems fine. It looks identical to the Blue Reef.

BLRSSBP.jpg

Anyway, between the 2, I would go for the DGX just because it's the same price and DGX has their unlimited return policy. But, I sure wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to support VDH.

Aha! I thought you were talking about this one, which used to be $75.

View attachment 453461

The one you're talking about seems fine. It looks identical to the Blue Reef.

View attachment 453462

Anyway, between the 2, I would go for the DGX just because it's the same price and DGX has their unlimited return policy. But, I sure wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to support VDH.

Ah, well unless you're diving a double hose Kraken, you'll be forgiven for guessing at the wrong plate. That's a Kraken plate.

Woo-hoo! I finally got a Kraken! :yeahbaby:
Screenshot_20180403-145102.jpg

Ah, well unless you're diving a double hose Kraken, you'll be forgiven for guessing at the wrong plate. That's a Kraken plate.

Woo-hoo! I finally got a Kraken! :yeahbaby:
View attachment 453464

Congratulations! I don't have one, but I would sure like one. Or at least like to try one.

I was eyeing that VDH plate for a long time, to use as just a normal single tank, single hose reg back plate. Then I finally got the Freedom plate and need no other.

The Kraken looks cool as crap. And having no bubbles around my face sounds like just the ticket - especially for when I'm taking pictures. But, I'm on the path to a CCR for that anyway.... And I just bought a bunch of new regs for using when I get my OC Trimix cert. No budget right now for a DH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom