Wanted Wanted: Simple tank harness in the PNW area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone got an old tank harness kicking around the in the dive locker they would like to get rid of free or cheap? I am looking at putting together a super stripped down rig for rescue work with no BC. Hoping someone in Puget Sound has one that I can come get. Thanks

What kind of rescue work?
Hydroplane races. The larger boats have capsules that are designed to separate in an wreck, and so whenever they are running they have divers on the course to help rescue drivers from the capsules if needed. The drivers wear FFMs and are on air during the race, and as part of the rescue process can be switched over to a fitting on the rescue diver's tank and breathe off of that as they are getting out from under a flipped boat. It's "diving" in that you are on air and under the water, but you are never more than 5 feet down and in the water for only a few minutes at a time.

I worked my first race in the boat last weekend and was horribly uncomfortable in my full dive rig sitting on the boat for a couple of hours. I am going to put together a rig for this using an inverted AL40, no BC or computer, and hopefully no or very little weight. Trying to build something that is comfortable on the boat, easy to maneuver in the water, easy to get back on the boat with, and still functional.

Something like this is far more usable

I am headed to Europe in a couple of hours, but will be back on the 26th, I am sure I have a couple like that one. If you don't get one by then, you can have one of mine for $20 + shipping. Check back then.

I do have this used dusty Scuba Pro on for $30 CAN (roughly $23 US) plus shipping. I am in Calgary Alberta. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• bp 10.jpg
    bp 10.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Bp11.jpg
    Bp11.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 44
I have a couple given to me by @Andrew Dawson. I am going to put one on my diving mannequin in my future dive shop. Let me look when I get home. I can do a porch pick up if that works for you.

Keep in mind the diameter of the AL40. Slightly narrower than a 72 isn't it?

You may be better served to use a modern backplate - aluminum/stainless/plastic that's sold for tec rigs and only install a harness. You don't have to add a wing but you can easily add a pair of tank straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom