Wanted: 1st ocean dive - FL panhandle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lgreins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, so I've been out of the water for 2 days and I need a trip to look forward to. I live a little south of Nashville, so the closest place would be the FL panhandle. Can anyone tell me about a good place to take a long weekend dive trip? This will be my first time diving in the ocean. Also, what kind of suit will I need to dive there in Nov.? Will a 5 mm work?

Any and all help appreciated!
Thanks guys!

for the FL panhandle, I'd suggest either the Panama City area, Destin are, or the various Florida springs. A 5mm will be fine there in November.

Are you wanting to boat dive or shore dive?

If you're going boat diving, since you're newly certified (I think), one option might be taking a trip with your local dive shop to the panhandle. They could give your further instruction on boat diving instead of depending on a boat operator just "throwing you in". Either that or arrange to dive with somebody like a divemaster on the boat.

Just some helpfull suggestions.

For shore diving, I'd check out the Destin Jetties, Navarre Pier, St Andrews Jetties, Vortex Springs or Morrison Springs.

hope that helps some.

mike

lgreins:
Ok, so I've been out of the water for 2 days and I need a trip to look forward to. I live a little south of Nashville, so the closest place would be the FL panhandle. Can anyone tell me about a good place to take a long weekend dive trip? This will be my first time diving in the ocean. Also, what kind of suit will I need to dive there in Nov.? Will a 5 mm work?

Any and all help appreciated!
Thanks guys!

Hi Lgreins. We have a local group from our shop going down to Panama City on the weekend of November 4-5. You can just join right in with us! Give me a call and I will fill you in on the details. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Orange Beach - Close enough to Pensacola/Navarre Beach, Alabama Jetties, Whisky Wreck, and several other good sites.

I live in Brandon, MS and I will be frequenting these places quite a bit in the next month or so. You are more than welcomed to meet up with us and dive. "We" usually consist of two to four guys that go as long as our schedules work out. :)

PM me sometime and we'll see about diving. I'm "grounded" until after the wedding I'll be in (my wedding :p) Oct 14th. After that, nothing but dives trips for me as long as time and money allows.

Michael

PhilEllis:
Hi Lgreins. We have a local group from our shop going down to Panama City on the weekend of November 4-5. You can just join right in with us! Give me a call and I will fill you in on the details. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Thanks to everyone - this board is great!
Phil, I think the 4th-5th may work perfectly! I may even be able to stay a little longer and get some more practice.
I'll be in touch once I'm sure.

Dang it all Phil - you got off schedule. I guess I will have to drive down that weekend to keep us on the same weekends.....

PhilEllis:

Phil Ellis

If you want to hit any of the springs, I can get off anytime long enough to do a couple of dives at Morrison, Vortex, take the boat to Cypress, a couple other secret unknowns.

Alabama dive shops with charters are DownUnder in Gulf Shores and Gary's Gulf Diver in Orange Beach. Both go out every weekend. Great people

No problem SuprBuGmAn

I understand you work in a top shop? I have a mom and pop cabinet and top shop. I will be finishing a install and solid surface top install today. I have not been in the water for a while, plan to get wet this afternoon in Morrison. In the a.M. Saturday I need to give a bid and see a customer in Destin. Plan to hit VOrtex in the P.M. possible night dive. Sunday I have a bid in Panama City Beach. P.M. I plan to get wet. Trying to find out how the river heights are for Cypress next week I want to take the boat up, don't feel like taking the canoe.
I need to go and check the river level of the choc near hwy 2. I spent a couple of years with the canoe trying to find a spring North of there. When I bought the new boat, I found it. Did not have dive gear with me then. Then river level was up then, just enough for the boat. If it is up I want to go dive it. It is not a large springs, maybe 25' across. a very forceful and clear boil, a lot llike Cypress. Can't see the bottm, don't know how deep.

Back
Top Bottom