Want to try sidemount. Can I reuse my regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otherguy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have 2 Oceanic Delta 5 Second Stage regulators which I use for my single tank setup.

I want to try sidemount and eventually (probably) switch to mostly sidemount and only occasionally (travel, nothing else available) go for a single tank setup.

Can I use my Delta 5’s for sidemount?

I’m guessing I can’t use the eDX first stage because it’s fixed.

you can use fixed first stages, the routing just won't be as good. you will need an extra first stage and extra spg at minimum. short hp hoses and a different inflator hose depending on what sidemount system you run are also heavily recommended.

the oceanic regs are mediocre, consider just getting a full tecline or apeks setup instead.

I use fixed firsts, long hose routes down tank then back up anyway.

Short hose comes straight out of the top of the 1st stage.

I use standard LP hoses looped into inner tube on the tanks, that way they can be routed to dry suit or wing in the event of an issue on either

Yes you can re-use your regs. You'll end up spending a bit of money on hoses anyways. I use turret style 1st stages and they're very convenient with good hose routing for sidemount. But it's not absolutely necessary. The end port on the left tank is especially good for that short LP inflator hose.

Hi
Yes, of course, you can use your BM set-up for SM diving. Not perfect but ok for occasionaly single tank SM.
Put your fixed first stage with a side of ports facing up and the other facing down.
On one of the LP facing up, put the "normal hose" which will come around your neck and this second stage will be necklaced (just put a piece of bungee aroung the mouthpiece) and will serve as your secondary.
One one of the LP facing down, put the "octopus" (longest) hose which will go down a bit and then up to around your neck also and it will be your primary, the one you use during the dive and the one you give to an OOA diver.
The other LP facing down is for the inflator which also will go down before coming up again to the inflator hose of the system you use.
Finally, the HP port facing down will have your "normal" spg hose what will be loved between one or two bungee along the tank, placing the gauge near the top of the tank to be able to read it.
It is not perfect but absolutely doable and you just need to get one or two meters of bungee to your local hardware store.
Enjoy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom