Want to Piece Best Hero3+ Diving Rig for Under $1k?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a vacation diver and love taking pics. Going to Tahiti in May and am pretty much set on a Hero3+ with video bacpac. So that's $480 out of my budget of $1k (give or take a few bucks). I think I still need a tray, filter(s) and light(s). I like using quality products.

Looking at Backscatter Flip 3.1 with a small tray and GoBo 700 light package.

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: package deals

Also considering the SRP package with tray and dual lights.

SRP Tray and Light Bundle

with the SRP lights, what the diffence between the W17V that sell for $170-$180 each versus the DV11 that sells for $55ish? Seem like same light?

It's all so confusing without hands on experience and $1k is not chump change. I want a fun starter package and the GoPro as a base gives me tons of other uses. Always dive warm blue water if that helps with any advice or recommendations

Can wait to get wet!!!!

I have the SRP setup, lights and all. It's very good stuff. In all fairness, I have a Backscastter Flip3.1 on my Hero3 with two 55mm adapters but use SRP's filters and everything else.

You are correct, as far as I can see the w17v and the d11v are the same lights. I already had a pair of the d11v lights before SRP offered them so it made the purchase of their tray and light arm system, minus the lights, the logical choice for me.

It would save you some money purchasing the lights separately for less. They are great lights, closer to 600 true lumens each, especially for the $60 or so I paid for mine. I'm now contemplating getting the w38vr (d32v) or the w40vr. I wouldn't mind more powerful lights for further distance sometimes but mounting them to the light arms is a problem I'd need to solve as well as the additional weight.

I have a GoProHero3+ brand new still has plastic around the housing I got as a gift that I would be willing to sell for $375. Let me know if your interested.

Thanks

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 08:40 AM ----------

El Pistoffo, you are using the Light and Beyond Video lights from SRP?

You may want to consider getting some lower lumen lights with a smaller beam angle since two 110* will cover more than the FOV of the GoPro.

I disagree, 2 lights only just cover the gopro wide FOV. Without much overlap you are continually repositioning them as you get closer or further from subjects. I don't think you can go too wide (beam) when you are talking about ultra wide fov cameras like gopro, unless you shoot in medium.

Not sure if your profile of 0-24 dives is accurate. If you are a new diver I would skip the lights and tray. As a new diver, you will have enough to deal with.

Just get the GoPro, a filter and a lanyard. You can always add lights later. If you really want lights, let your dive buddy do the lighting. This will keep you close together and reduce your task loading. But, you'll be surprised how well the camera performs with just a filter.

GREAT ADVICE! THANKS! Yes, I am a relative novice at diving and love every minute I'm wet. We're going to Tahiti as a bucket list and I may be over complicating things with the tray and light setup for sure and really will give this some serious thought. I do want to enjoy every second down and adding lights to someone like me who's never filmed under water may just be too much. I just didn't want to miss any opportunity for the money shots!

Is there somewhere here I could ask about the typical certified but tourist dive profile for Bora Bora and Moorea? If that may help in my assumption that I should get lights.

If you are using the LCD, you'll need a new battery for each dive. You may want to use a battery backpack instead of the LCD. You should be able to get 2 dives easy with no battery changes with that setup.

Add a good filter and an extendible pole and you're set.

GREAT ADVICE! THANKS! Yes, I am a relative novice at diving and love every minute I'm wet. We're going to Tahiti as a bucket list and I may be over complicating things with the tray and light setup for sure and really will give this some serious thought. I do want to enjoy every second down and adding lights to someone like me who's never filmed under water may just be too much. I just didn't want to miss any opportunity for the money shots!

Is there somewhere here I could ask about the typical certified but tourist dive profile for Bora Bora and Moorea? If that may help in my assumption that I should get lights.

My Bora Bora and Moorea dive video. Shot without lights, just a filter.

[vimeo]16810323[/vimeo]

Reactions: fbk
El Pistoffo, you are using the Light and Beyond Video lights from SRP?

Yes. Those lights are basically Archon W17V (previously branded d11v) lights. I already had a pair of those Archon lights so I got the whole SRP tray setup minus the actual lights. They work quite well at closer distances. They output around 600 lumens each. The are much cheaper if ordered from China.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

My Bora Bora and Moorea dive video. Shot without lights, just a filter.

[vimeo]16810323[/vimeo]

Another one of your fine videos. I originally was going to travel there before deciding on Bali. Once I saw the costs associated with the French Polynesians, especially the over-water bungalows, I had a change of heart. I would have needed to take out a 2nd mortgage for such a trip.

Bora-Bora looks stunningly beautiful though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom