Want to go from "hard to soft" lead.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, I have got a couple hundred pounds of hard lead. What can I do to convert that to soft lead or lead shot?

If I can find some sort of moulds to make my own, that would be great! They don't even have to be BB size, a little larger would be fine. Or should I just sell for what I can and by new?

Jeff

You could do some research on shot making for shotgun ammo. I think there is a product called Littleton Shotmaker or something of that nature. Its sort of pricey but may be worth it depending on how much lead you have. Basically it makes lead drops that fall into a cooling liquid (oil or something).

There is a lot of info on google to make shot. Hope this helps!

You can buy a lot of soft weights for the price of a Littleton shot maker, but a laddle, a torch, a 5 gallon bucket of water and some research will give you a random sized product to use in soft weights.

I don't know of any BCD that is made of a material that withstand the temperature need to keep lead soft.

I don't know of any BCD that is made of a material that withstand the temperature need to keep lead soft.

My BC is made of silicone and has a heater in to keep the lead molten. It keeps my trim even, reduces the requirements of the exposure suit (I can ice dive with just a swimsuit), and creates a trail of steam and bubbles so my buddy can always find me.

It's part of the standard DIR setup. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

My BC is made of silicone and has a heater in to keep the lead molten. It keeps my trim even, reduces the requirements of the exposure suit (I can ice dive with just a swimsuit), and creates a trail of steam and bubbles so my buddy can always find me.

It's part of the standard DIR setup. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

:rofl3:

He could buy a lot of soft weights for the price of the machine. He could also buy a lot of soft weights for the price of selling his lead. I was just trying to help him figure out ways to make it. Your right he could use those tools, just the idea of working with random tools and molten lead scares me. I figured the shot maker was safer.

What's the problem with hard lead anyway? Much less leaching into the environment than lead shot.

I dive with soft lead shot... bought it with copper coating. In hindsight, I would dive with hard lead. It doesn't make that much difference in comfort (weight integrated BC) and the lead shot holds water and doesn't dry for a long time after a dive, which is the biggest PIA.

I dive with soft lead shot... bought it with copper coating. In hindsight, I would dive with hard lead. It doesn't make that much difference in comfort (weight integrated BC) and the lead shot holds water and doesn't dry for a long time after a dive, which is the biggest PIA.

In all seriousness, yes, that's the issue with soft weights. I wear 20# of "bar" lead and 10# of shot. The bar is dry with a quick pat of the towel. I have to leave the shot on the porch for a day until it dries out.

You can buy a lot of soft weights for the price of a Littleton shot maker, but a laddle, a torch, a 5 gallon bucket of water and some research will give you a random sized product to use in soft weights.

I work with lead from time to time at work. Molten Led+ water=very bad idea. It will explode. Even dropping molten led on a dry sidewalk will find any moisture and explode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom