Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freddie.diveinsight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

We run a project called Dive Insight with divers contributing their footage for marine biology research. We would love your diving images to help our marine biologists with their machine learning projects!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Links have been removed in order to protect users from a potential scam

Thank you,
Freddie

@freddie.diveinsight

Perhaps if you could provide more information about this project instead of bombarding the site with requests for images.

And as a new member, an introduction would be nice too, otherwise this sort of request is going to be treated as SPAM!

How is this different or better than the already mature and established iNaturalist?

How is this different or better than the already mature and established iNaturalist?
Indeed and no link to an official website or such.

Already been reported by other members as possible scammer to use images without copyright etc.

Thanks for the info

@freddie.diveinsight

Perhaps if you could provide more information about this project instead of bombarding the site with requests for images.

And as a new member, an introduction would be nice too, otherwise this sort of request is going to be treated as SPAM!
Hi Searcaigh,

I'm a machine learning engineer by profession, and on the side I work with marine biologists when they want to include machine learning in their research, which is rapidly growing, we commonly meet the issue with fragmented image datasets on the internet, so we want a single location to source underwater footage labelled for machine learning models, and while diving I've met several people who take amazing photos that would be perfect for the people I work with. So lets combine the two, give divers a place to contribute their footage, which is labelled by us and provided to marine biologists.

We currently have 8000 images, so it's very early days, hence why we haven't setup a website yet, sorry!

Yes, iNaturalist is brilliant, but lacks certain annotations, our goal is to provide annotated video datasets, with bounding box and instance segmentation. For example, this type of data can train models for automated BRUV analysis.

I want to apologise for the bombarding the site. I found a awesome location to speak to divers and got too excited to spread the word, I can see its really spammy now, sorry. Is there a way I delete other posts?

Happy to answer any other questions 😊

How much do you pay photographers for images?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom