Want a regulator with these characteristics -- REPOSTED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a side exhaust you will have to look at the Aqualung Kronos, Poseidon or the oceanic omega regulators.

I just want to point out that there is a reason why most octo's are different than the primary, and that reason is the very next thing you are looking for: Low Cost

The thinking is that you don't really need the best, high-flow, adjustable, super-amazing second stage for your backup that you'll likely never use but will pack with sand every time it falls out of the octo-holder and you drag it along the bottom to the chagrin of everyone behind you. :D

Add to that the fact that most service centers will set the octo to open and deliver air at a higher inhallation setting so that it doesn't free flow as easily. No reason to spend extra money for the finest second stage only to have it detuned so that it doesn't free flow because it's spending most of it's life unused.

Here is an analogy I used a while back - a second octo is like spare tire. Sure you are rarely going to need but then when you do think about the worst possible place to have a flat. For me that would out on a dirt road 30 miles from the nearest paved road and another 30 to the nearest town. So for me having an octo that is every bit as good as my primary is SOP cause when Davy Jones comes a calling I am likely to be 30 meters under the water 30 meters into an overhead.

But in case you want to go another route:

Octo/inflator == run flat tire

cheap octo == mini spare

std primary reg == full spare

I absolutely can't believe I'm agreeing with the beav on something, but the MK11 is also a great mid-price 1st stage. I don't know what the "light" means, but if its anything like the old MK20UL, forget it; just get the regular MK11.
The MK11 " Light" is a new lightweight forged body made of polished chrome plated brass. It achieves it's lightweight ( 1.75 lbs ) by reducing its size.

The MK11 is a balanced diaphragm reg.
It has 4LP ports and 2 HP ports.

The MK11 " light" is excellent for travel!

With the database corruption problem and rollback (see above) apparently my post went away. Here it is again. Thank you.

I was hoping you were going to repost this. Thanks!
BTW, I love classical music but have yet to get into classical guitar. Maybe I should begin with a Grammy-award winning composer! Got any suggestions? :D

First, in your 'must haves' the only thing that strikes me as odd is the bubble venting issue.
I don't really have a bubble venting issue and the reason I mentioned the topic is because I don't want to get a reg that has the issue. I thought I had read here somewhere that some regs vent in front of the face, as opposed to slightly to the side.

You only need a sealed reg for water you would almost certainly need a drysuit to dive in. No drysuit? You're likely not in water cold enough to freeze regulators. Unless, of course, you like 40F water in a wetsuit!
I do dive dry but only down to the mid-50 degree level (Monterey), unless we make it to the PacNW and then I'm not sure what the temps are there.

don't get talked into a titanium reg to save a few ounces.
I won't.

Don't worry about the yellow cover. In fact, look into using a 5 ft primary hose and a 24" alternate hose, with the alternate on a bungie necklace.
I am thinking about such an arrangement. But I can always change for a longer hose later, right? So for now a yellow cover will be fine.

Absolutely stay with yoke if you're diving yoke tanks.
Agreed!

I'd forget about a console....just get a simple SPG on a 24" hose, no boot, clip it to your left hip (all BCs will have some means to clip it) and wear your computer and compass on your wrist.
I have the computer on my right wrist and the compass on my left but at this stage I want that second compass as I am getting used to using it. Having one on the console is on some ways easier to read. Eventually I may drop that and go back to a SPG only.

If the DIN/yoke issue gets resolved, I'd say you might be a good candidate for HOG regs, because they might sell you a repair kit, and I think they sell just the stages separately, .....just don't buy DIN unless you want it.
The DIN-yoke thing is the hang-up with them right now. I like the repair kit offering. They won't sell all the Edge second stages separately but I can buy two HOG second stages. -- That's probably a little more regulator than I need.

I absolutely can't believe I'm agreeing with the beav on something, but the MK11 is also a great mid-price 1st stage.
BeaverDivers is offering $500 for the MK-11 set-up but the octo and the primary are not the same.

DRIS has a nice set-up for about the same price using EDGE 1st stage and HOG second stages but it's DIN not yoke.

So here I sit, still unable to decide, and my wife saying "We don't need to spend that money right now" and I guess I have to agree with her.
:idk: At least I know what I want!

Another perennial best buy is the aqualung titan.

I'll check into it.

Thanks!! ...and send me a link for one of your records.

- Bill

I still say HOG with a cold water first stage. I have seen the water hit 43 degrees, on what was Adeline's second post cert dive in Mendocino. We often see 48 degrees and I consider it no big deal to dive in. By the time you are ready to buy they should have the yoke fitting back in stock. When ready call Mike or Jim and see what they can do for prices as DRIS offers a kit with all needed hoses, and SPG option, and a yoke adapter you wouldn't need if you "permanently" converted it yoke (You keep the DIN fitting in case you ever wanted to go back it).
HOG Gear DIN to Yoke conversion Kit - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Some echoes from already posted info. MK11/c200/r295. Also look at Apkes Xtx range for exhaust tees.

Drop the swivel, yoke and braided hose ideas. Get a seperate compass or buy a DC with digital compass. I would not bother with repair kit either.

I still say HOG with a cold water first stage. I have seen the water hit 43 degrees, on what was Adeline's second post cert dive in Mendocino. We often see 48 degrees and I consider it no big deal to dive in. By the time you are ready to buy they should have the yoke fitting back in stock. When ready call Mike or Jim and see what they can do for prices as DRIS offers a kit with all needed hoses, and SPG option, and a yoke adapter you wouldn't need if you "permanently" converted it yoke (You keep the DIN fitting in case you ever wanted to go back it).
HOG Gear DIN to Yoke conversion Kit - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Peter, I sent a message to HOG/Edge and Mike Petersen said they would do this switch from DIN to Yoke on the Edge 1st stage.

Is there an official "cut-off point" for needing a cold-water first stage? Sounds like that is what I need.

- Bill

DRIS has the epic first and hog second for $219, it is the cold version. I eventually had this setup and still use it. Add another 2nd for $109, if the hoses seem high divegearexpress has them really cheap. I use theirs (braided) and will buy more for my wife's rig.

I think hog is the bang for the buck in the market right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another good choice would be the DiveRite XT regs. The OW package available in alot of places comes with a 40 inch hose on the primary with swivel and elbow to route under the arm and an octo on a necklace. Great breather, cold water ready. I would also suggest staying with a simple SPG and going with the computer and compass on the wrist.

Back
Top Bottom