Wannabe Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have experience diving in these places? I have heard good things about Croatia. But when it comes to Italy I once heard the phrase «There's nothing to see in Italy, well underwater» and it sticks to my head :)

No first hand experience I'm afraid. The closest I can get is Turkey where the water was fabulous but rather lacking in fishes. I really must put the Med higher on my list to explore.

I have done some diving in the mediterranean. Malta, Turkey, Spain, Greece and Tunisia so basically I've dived in both the eastern, western and central parts. Overall I like the diving when the focus is on wrecks and cave-like structures more than when it focuses on marine life. The Med. can't compare to the red sea if you like reefs and fish but it provides some truly spectacular environments, nice wrecks and a decent amount of marine life.

My favourite of the ones mentioned above is Malta - for the diving as well the conditions on land.

My favourite of the ones mentioned above is Malta - for the diving as well the conditions on land.

Thanks. I've heard good things about Malta as well.
@Izze: How is diving in Sweden?

Depending on where in Sweden we're talking about conditions range from decent to good cold water diving (like Norway but not quite as good) on the west coast to some of the best wreck diving in the world but with horrible conditions on the east.

The baltic is murky, cold and with brackish water which preserves wrecks in absolutely astonishing ways. Our favourite local wreck is about 60 years old and you can still read the captains log for example. Further north we have a wooden wreck that is at least 600 years old with the hull still intact.

Off the coasts we have plenty of rivers and lakes with the usual visibility associated with these. The most interesting thing to do here (in my book) is diving in abandoned hydropower plants. In the 1950s they expanded the dams and built new plants leaving the old ones under water. Swimming through these can provide some truly unique environments.

Finally we've got the old mines that litter parts of Sweden. A fair amount of these are filled with water - both open mines and the more scary tunnel ones. Depending on training level these may be accessible to you.

some of the best wreck diving in the world but with horrible conditions on the east.
The baltic is murky, cold and with brackish water which preserves wrecks in absolutely astonishing ways. Our favourite local wreck is about 60 years old and you can still read the captains log for example. Further north we have a wooden wreck that is at least 600 years old with the hull still intact.

That sounds fascinting! Makes me wanna get my Open Water even sooner! :)

I say go for it! You will meet a lot of "experienced" divers who will scoff at your dreams. Just remember, they are your dreams! And in the end...they are only scoffing because they wish they had done it. Only advice, go all the way. Teaching diving is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

I'd consider doing it in Switzerland for a few reasons:
  • If you can dive in cold water you can dive anywhere.

I'd like to second what Barry said: If you can dive cold, you can dive anywhere.

My sister just got recently certified in Switzerland, I did mine here in the Philippines. She's done several dives here already, and the transition was no problem. Sure, she says that she was envious of the 3mm wetsuits we wore (if any needed at all), while she did her certs in 7mm or drysuits (Lac Leman can get cold, I guess). I am assuming that visibility and conditions would be no way similar to clear tropical waters. I can only imagine what my transition would be lke from the conditions that I am used to versus the conditions she had.
I guess what I'm saying is that local diving would be appealing to you because as a DM, you will have to be comfortable and deal with many varied conditions. True, as others have stated, there are a lot of DMs and instructors out there who probably have many dives under their belt, but a good chance that most of these dives were in the same predictable site over and over. Place them in unfamiliar settings, and they probably won't look as pro as their cards claim them to be. So, relish the variation. Dive under different conditions, and enjoy the adventure! Go for it!

(And prepare your wallet for a beating... especially since its you and your wife looking at certifications... :D )

I'd like to second what Barry said: If you can dive cold, you can dive anywhere.
I guess what I'm saying is that local diving would be appealing to you because as a DM, you will have to be comfortable and deal with many varied conditions. True, as others have stated, there are a lot of DMs and instructors out there who probably have many dives under their belt, but a good chance that most of these dives were in the same predictable site over and over. Place them in unfamiliar settings, and they probably won't look as pro as their cards claim them to be.

Hi Doc
Thanks, this is actually a very good point. Being able to practice under more difficult circumstances is actually a plus. I definitely want to take advantage of that fact!

(And prepare your wallet for a beating... especially since its you and your wife looking at certifications... :D )

I know, I know... ain't a cheap sport...

I think if you want to pick up chicks, telling them that you are a divemaster helps. I heard that wearing alot of scuba patches help too, especially ones that say "RESCUE DIVER".

In fact, since I started wearing the genuine PADI "rescue diver" patch, I've noted more success getting noticed in the grocery stores. I'll report once we get to a bar.

In fact, since I started wearing the genuine PADI "rescue diver" patch, I've noted more success getting noticed in the grocery stores. I'll report once we get to a bar.

Hmmm, I think I'd rather go for the "Deep Diver Specialty" badge :eyebrow:

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom