Wannabe Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone!
Thanks for all your advice, this is a great board!

Well, I actually do think about finding work in the dive industry eventually. But I know it's still a long way to go. And it definitely is interesting to hear that payment is very low...

I am aware though that "divemaster" is just the lowest grade of getting professional. Yet, it is a possible goal along on the way. Therefore I'd like to repeat one of my questions before: How long does it take to become a divemaster when you do it "the right way" yet straight ahead (like BarryNL explained before -> Advanced OW -> Rescue -> DM after 100 dives or so). I know this may vary a lot, but what's your experience? Does it take one year, five years, ten years?

Don't worry about me rushing into something or so. I'm really trying to make good decisions and to analyze if the ideas stuck to my head are reasonable. That's why I joined this board. So thanks again for your great replies! They actually are with much more substance than what my diving instructor was able to tell me last week when I met him in person. So that's one reason why I'm not even sure yet what diving school to trust...

definitely take your time - don't go from beginner to divemaster candidate in a few months and a couple dozen dives, you will regret it. i absolutely agree with barry - 100 dives is a good number to figure out if you want to commit to divemaster or not.

I am aware though that "divemaster" is just the lowest grade of getting professional. Yet, it is a possible goal along on the way. Therefore I'd like to repeat one of my questions before: How long does it take to become a divemaster when you do it "the right way" yet straight ahead (like BarryNL explained before -> Advanced OW -> Rescue -> DM after 100 dives or so). I know this may vary a lot, but what's your experience? Does it take one year, five years, ten years?

It all depends how much free time you have. If you can find the time to dive 4 times a week you can get enough experience to start your DM in six months. It's dive experience rather than time that's important so it doesn't really matter if you get your 100 dives over six months or two years. The length of the DM course depends on your instructor. You probably could get all the practical work done in a couple of weeks if you are willing to use up your holiday to work full time on it and can find an instructor willing to teach it, but I think most of us with full time jobs probably do DM over three months or more.

Look into "Master diver" instead unless you want to get a "Job" in the scuba industry.

Hmm, I'm never sure about the "Master Diver" rating. I'm not sure there are 5 specialities actually worth doing :D

I guess doing Nitrox, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Navigation, Night Diver and Drysuit Diver is a reasonable choice. Though, with the exception of Nitrox you can do just as well by getting some dive practice in.

Hi. I am a dive master--but just do it as a part time job. I do it more because I like helping with classes and I like taking people out on dives and showing them the sites and the critters that live there. I think you do learn A LOT in the DM class--not so much the practical diving, but a lot of the theory behind it. There is a lot to read and absorb, so I would NOT recommend a 2 week quickie course for DM. I worked my tush off and got the class done in about 8 weeks and that was going to the dive shop 3-4 times a week to do the class work or dive an area enough to do the map, etc. (after I got home from the day job). I agree that you should have at least 100 dives in before doing the class. If someone gets in trouble, you really need to be comfortable enough with your skills to help them. I would say probably every 3rd time I take a group out, there is some sort of issue--from minor things to having to physically get someone back to shore. I would recommend as other have, doing the class locally--it will make you a better diver if it is a little more challenging. Take your time and make sure you really like the sport.

I would say probably every 3rd time I take a group out, there is some sort of issue--from minor things to having to physically get someone back to shore.
Wow, that's quite impressing.. I think that's a lot!

Guys, you are great help and I will thoroughly think through how I will handle things!

Hmm, I'm never sure about the "Master Diver" rating. I'm not sure there are 5 specialities actually worth doing :D

I guess doing Nitrox, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Navigation, Night Diver and Drysuit Diver is a reasonable choice. Though, with the exception of Nitrox you can do just as well by getting some dive practice in.

NAUI has a pretty good master scuba diver program that includes (from what I've been told) most of the divemaster/instructor theory as well as eight dives.

Hi cabosito

I have met some very fine divers who learned to dive in Switzerland. They (and many Germans too) have mentioned that Croatia is easy to get to, relatively cheap and great diving as well.

I would second the advise to find a local dive centre and develop a relationship. But I would also suggest that you are not too loyal. Take every opportunity you have to visit other countries and go diving with different dive centres. You are so close to Malta, Italy, Croatia, Marseilles that a few days away to each over a year will give you a wide range of experience.

Its not just the diving. Its also good to see how dive centres are run, what works in Switzerland may not work in Dahab may not work in Malta or Cyprus. Build your experience and find what style you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy your new diving adventure!

You are so close to Malta, Italy, Croatia, Marseilles that a few days away to each over a year will give you a wide range of experience.

Hi there!
Thanks for your advice.
Do you have experience diving in these places? I have heard good things about Croatia. But when it comes to Italy I once heard the phrase «There's nothing to see in Italy, well underwater» and it sticks to my head :)
In France again I heard something about them only accepting certain certifications. Is that true?

Cheers!

In France again I heard something about them only accepting certain certifications. Is that true?

It depends if you dive for fun or if you want to work in France as a divemaster.
In the first case, no problem in any professionnal dive center.
In the second case, you must have a french professionnal certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom