Wallins Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took there OW condensed class (two weekends) and I had no complaints. They teach the SSI course. I had really good instructors and felt they did an excellent job of teaching the basic skills. On another note. Avoid the impulse of buying all your equipment right away from them without shopping around the area. Diver Dan's has much better prices then Wallins'. Hope this helps.

The info is helpful, it's always good to talk to someone with first hand knowledge. I'll keep the impulse buying suggestion in mind also.

Out of curiosity, how experienced are you now? Have you done other certs at other places? I'm not sure whether it makes sense to go on for more certs after the OW or not...

I am not terribly experienced. I dove a bit before I actually was certified so the class was not that difficult. I did start a NAUI class in college but for reasons I could not control I had to bail out. I think that at a basic level all the different organizations teach basically the same thing and I am sure that each will probably say that their course is better than the other. I personally have not had problems diving anywhere with an SSI cert vs a PADI or NAUI cert.

As far as taking other classes beyond open water, that depends on how far you would like to take your diving. While I currently have not taken any other classes, I fully intend to take the nitrox course and probably some advanced open water. Fundage and time limit these pursuits. As previously stated, you will figure out which courses you want based on your diving needs and that will only come after you have done a little diving.

Hope this helps and that I have not rambled on. Also, this board can be a very useful place for information. However, I would advise you to read everyones opinion (including my own) with a bit of caution. Just remember, opinions are like #*@holes, everybody has one and most of them stink. Figure out what works for you.

Take care

Jason:D

Any and all info is much appreciated at this point. I'm really very eager to get to my first class, but I still haven't scheduled it yet (small funding hiccup).

I've been poking around and think I'm actually going to go with Mitchell's Scuba College up in San Bruno. They'll actually rent you all your gear, which makes it much more affordable, and if I can find two more people to take the class with my husband and I he'll flex the schedule for us. Plus he got a very good review from another poster here on the board.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom