...walked in the snow uphill, both ways!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may not be able to post all that often but I don't miss a single thread. I must admit that the LACK of "tit-for-tat, rec.scuba.flame.R.us style flame wars" is why I always come back.

I thank you too.

Military diver,

Thanks for the post that "brought back " this thread. The original post date preceded my finding the Board, (heck, it predates my having a web-able computer !

KN - scary stuff. Some people just don't get it. Anybody think "reality check"?

Bravo to you for your heroic efforts towards a person who probably couldn't understand "why" you did what you did.

Mike

Yes, I too would like to thank you for bringing up this post as I too was not around yet when this started.

I don't get here as often as I'd like to but I truely enjoy this board very much!

KN... WOW!! That is an incredible story. You're a very lucky man to have the "prefect lady" and she still dives. I'm not sure I could say I would be comfortable diving if my check out dives had gone as hers did. I feel this "student" was VERY lucky to have you there. Not many people in your situation could have handled that one. My hat's off to you for an excellent job!!!

My check out dives were not the greatest either...
Not due to any instruction or DM (they were great). My problem came from seasickness. I spent lots of $$$$ and about 6 trips to Florida (not too mention many, many hours sick on a boat) before I could finally make the dives but I must say it was worth every bit of it. I tried everything over the counter to discover none of them worked. The patch FINALLY came through for me and I enjoyed it for 6 yrs. now. It's true this sport is not for everyone and people should know their own limitations. That's why it took me sooo long to get certified because I did know my limitations but was determined to find "something" that would work for me.

Ldreamin

Originally posted by King_Neptune
Aug, 1995... D-Day ... Ground Zero!

1 Instructor, 1 DiveMaster, 12 Students, and me (the 2nd DiveMaster)...
Days before the dive, the regular class Instructor, Cosmo (yes that's his real name, hehe) had suffered "baro-trauma" to his ears. The class had really grown to like and trust their instructor but try as he might he was in just too much pain and could not push it and asked for another instructor to take over the open water dives. I had dove with the other divemaster before and she and I got along well, and I had also been helping out with the class as a "Divemaster" since "LadyDiver" was in that class and they were in odd numbers so I served 2 purposes - even the buddy teams and he has to pay one less DM, hehe. (Water? Where? Drool... Sure! err, I mean, ok, if you insist, hehe).

She (the other DM) came up to me and asked if I could go ahead and join them that morning as I had been helping Cosmo with the class and the students had kind of gotten to know me and looked up to me a bit and it might make them a bit more comfortable with having a unknown Instructor take over. (Once again ... Water? Where? Drool... Sure! err, I mean, ok, if you insist, hehe).

The only other thing that should be known was the weather reports for that morning said "chances of rain" ... Which for San Diego usually means it's gonna be just as Hot, Dry and Sunny as any other day. We all showed up in front of the "Marine Room Restaurant" where during high tide the waves often crash into the side of the dining areas foot thick glass windows. In the time it took for everyone to suit up, the weather did not "burn off" like most days but seemed to pick up with a slight breeze. Yet, still no cause for real alarm but the other DM and I did talk to the Instructor about maybe calling it off, this was their FIRST Open Water dive. but he would hear nothing of it. So, as I usually prefer to do I positioned myself behind all the other students and while slipping into alittle something more comfortable (a wetsuit of course, hehe) I studied each one of the students as I would an opponent during a sparring match, quietly and intently, while acting like I wasn't even looking. Then, as if Air Raid sirens were going off I saw something that scared me.

She was 43 years old, stood 4' 9", easily weighted 250+ and while one hand held the spoon she was licking that contained the last drops of her "Fruit on the bottom" yogurt the other held the empty banana peel. AAAHHH! No she wasn't! Oh yes she was - and did! This was the same student that said she kept getting sea sick during her Open Water Dives and this was the 4th time taking a Open Water Class and she was a transplant from another class because she just needed to pass her Open Water Dives to get her C-Card. What REALLY got me though, was I couldn't figure out what they were doing all gathered around her and causing such a ruckus over. So I stepped around from where I was to see them asking around for anyone else that had another extra weight belt. Oh yeah, did I mention she was about as "round" as she was "tall"? It would have almost been funny that they were trying to link weight belts together to get around her but it was NOT funny at all, as a matter of fact I didn't find it amusing at all and voiced my opinion to the Instructor there, but he wouldn't hear it. This was beyond hurting someone's feeling, and to this day I disagree with his stated fear that turning her away could bring some sort of discrimination law suit. This wasn't any kind of racial, gender, creed, overweight, religious or other personal problem I had with her but rather one of safety and concern for the group as a whole and this person specifically. If ever I wished, no, wrong words ... If ever I prayed, that I was wrong more, I don't know when...
=-)

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

I know, I know......sorry if you have been on this board for a year or two, but if your not familiar with this thread you have to check it out. Especially King Neptunes experience. It is truly MIND BLOWING and educational to boot!

:)

Wow!

KN, much kudos to you sir

As a newcomer to the underwater world I am glad I found this board and the intelliegent people that seem to frequent it!

Im glad there seems to be more of your kind in the Diving world, KN, than there is of "that" Instructors kind!

*keeps an eye open for dubious instructor types*

KN I can't believe you put up with that!!! You are one hell of a guy to have saved her, especially through all that!!! I can't believe she did come back to you and offer you her "life of servitude" for saving her life, LOL!

I have to know, Did she ever find someone stupid enough to certify her??? or even stupid enough to let her try AGAIN???

You don't happen to work as a reserve for the airforce pararescue jumpers do you?

Salutes dude! You've earned your stripes there.

(editors note: actually KN is a former SF diver - (US Army) but getting him to talk about it would be like trying to clean up Alt.Rec.Scuba.Flamez.R.Us)

I agree, some people just shouldn't be diving. If you can't cut it, don't bother signing up for the class and thinking you will just be given a card. Some people have certain physical problems that they can overcome with practice and become good divers. Some people have more serious issues, mental or physical, that completely excluded them from ever diving. Don't get me wrong, I wish that everyone could learn to dive but we all know that would not be possible or even a good idea.

You can't accomodate everyone, nor should you have to. It's a safety issue to all those involved, not to mention a liability concern. If that woman had been injured, you can bet that everyone involved, even the rescuer would have been sued senseless. A lot of people out there diving are irresponsible, and feel like their safety is something for the Instructor or DM to worry about. The best rescue is a self rescue...apparently the woman forgot about that.

I still can't believe that the Instructor even let her in the class. Then he want's to go back out again?...Please...I would have had a private chat with him and TOLD him what we were going to do. Four weightbelts rigged together?!?!? Wow, that is the diver from hell!

King_Neptune: I'm glad you posted this story, as it has made me re-evaluate how I would handle a similiar situation...not just the rescue, but the events prior and afterwards. I've never had anything like that happen before or during checkouts but, it's good to think of how you would handle such horriffic situations in advance. Thanks.

Sorry call me an @$$, but I would have left her.

After taking the class that many times and failing and being in that kind of shape. Get a clue!

There's a BIG difference to being a little overweight and what you described. BIG liability! I'm not going to die because of some moron, who has no right being there in the condition they're in.

And if I was lucky I may have even had enough energy to knock that instructors lights out when I finally did get in!

Back
Top Bottom