WAL for PT015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MsParamedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm about ready to get a WAL for my 5050 (once it comes back from being repaired) and my PT015 housing.

My LDS is pushing towards a "lense and dome" that can not be put on or removed underwater. Im hopeing I can tap into everyones expertise and knowledge and point me in the right direction.

Pat

MsParamedic:
I'm about ready to get a WAL for my 5050 (once it comes back from being repaired) and my PT015 housing.

My LDS is pushing towards a "lense and dome" that can not be put on or removed underwater. Im hopeing I can tap into everyones expertise and knowledge and point me in the right direction.

Pat

I have a S&S 'L' WA wet lens. I enjoy being able to switch lenses underwater if needed. I don't do it as much as I used to but it's nice to have the option if a whale shark or Manta Ray shows up while I'm shooting macro!

The dome port will extend your WA lens width but as the LDS said, your restricted to the lens you took down.

My LDS is pushing towards a "lense and dome" that can not be put on or removed underwater.
Which one is this? Name/model/more details please...

I see no advantage to a wide angle lens, or any other lens, that cannot be added and/or removed underwater if that is what you mean. You would be limited to the type of photos you can take.
I use an Inon UWL-100 wide angle lens on my PT-010. I am happy with it. There is a Type 1 and Type 2. Your camera/housing takes the Type 2. You can purchase that lens from either Ryan at Underwater Camera Pros or Yuzo at UWDigitalCamera.com in Japan.
Perhaps your LDS is trying to sell you a lens that he deals in and cannot get the other brands/types?

You can do some pretty great things with a domed WAL, but the advantage of having a wet-mate adapter that I can remove and replace underwater ruled out the dome for me. There are people who have the domed WAL and swear by it, but it wasn't what I wanted or needed.

I'm just curious to know which 'lens and dome' this is for the PT-015 which the LDS is recommending that can't be attached or removed underwater?

ReyeR:
I'm just curious to know which 'lens and dome' this is for the PT-015 which the LDS is recommending that can't be attached or removed underwater?

I have egg on my face! I thought that the Inon WAL + dome port for the PT-015 wasn't a wetmate lens adapter. It turns out that the dome port is a dry attachment to the lens adapter and the whole unit can be removed/attached under water. You just can't take the dome port off the WAL underwater.

So, I retract what I said about the dome port. If you are thinking about a WAL, go with the Inon WAL and then think about the dome port as an later addition.

Jim (jlyle)

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/pages/lens/inondome.htm

I have egg on my face!
No egg on your face Jim! I think the LDS has that privilege...... :eyebrow:

Im not sure what brand of lense the LDS is trying to sell me....Im going to call this afternoon and find out.

Thanks everyone for the info so far!

I have the Olympus wide angle and like it, I also have the macro and have gotten great photos with both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom