WAL - Dumb question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
A friend of mine has a WAL for his digital camera and the thread fits the housing of our stylus....I know I read a post somewhere that someone bought a surface lens to use underwater....but can't remember if it worked or not.
Can it be used?

Lisa,
I bought an inexpensive surface close-up lens from B&H. I tried it out a few weeks back and saw no usefull results with it.

justleesa:
A friend of mine has a WAL for his digital camera and the thread fits the housing of our stylus....I know I read a post somewhere that someone bought a surface lens to use underwater....but can't remember if it worked or not.
Can it be used?

I doubt it would work. The reason being that the lenses are not made to work with water inbetween them (nomarlly air obviously) and so the optics are no longer correct. They are also meant to be a certain distance from the lens which cannot be acheived with a housing in the way. So there will be huge amounts of vignetting.

If however you put it on on the surface and sealed it you might have a greater chance. Dont know if this would have pressure related problems though.

This is just my opinion though, I could definatly be wrong.

lukeROB:
I doubt it would work. The reason being that the lenses are not made to work with water inbetween them (nomarlly air obviously) and so the optics are no longer correct. They are also meant to be a certain distance from the lens which cannot be acheived with a housing in the way. So there will be huge amounts of vignetting.

If however you put it on on the surface and sealed it you might have a greater chance. Dont know if this would have pressure related problems though.

This is just my opinion though, I could definatly be wrong.
That's what I thought too... Thanks for your help guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom