Wakatobi - so is it worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking at Wakatobi for a trip next year. I've read a number of threads here and on wetpixel about the resort, with few folks saying a lot good about the resort itself. They supposedly have upgraded the facilities, but are asking over $3k per person for the upgraded facilities for week and a half trip. Is it worth that much?

Hi Corby

I was wondering the same thing myself. The island comes higly recommended by people I know who've been there, and other dive enthusiats who'd love to go. I seriously looked in to it for this summer, but it's just too expensive, particularly when you have to get to Bali on your own expense on top of their prices. I wrote the resort directly about their current summer special a few weeks ago, since the web link didn't work properly, but I never received a reply. I don't think I will either.

Oh well. I've deceide to settle for two weeks in the Maldives and a liveaboard in the red sea instead. It comes out cheaper in the end, and I'll have a lot less yet lag.

Cheers

Sylvie

i get ther newsletters regularly but i just cannot see how it is worth that much Money. Take two trips for the same money and go somewhere else in the region.
If you have money to burn and like 5* then maybe it good to do. For me i would take the money and spend a week on a LOB in PNG and then maybe a 3 days to a week week onshore in PNG. Same money still good service and probably as good if not better diving, Just MHO

Hi Corby!

I really don´t know if it is worth the money because I never been there ... but I booked a 11 nigth stay for August 2005. I´m not rich, I save every penny for my dive trips, so I really hope that at the end of the trip I will not have the feeling of "waist money".

You can read a few reports at www.undercurrent.org/subscribers/UCnow/report.php?locID=33

I know that there are so many places I never been there ... and I hope to live long enough to dive at galapagos, papua new guinea, fiji, hawai, ...

Take care

Corby,

I made the trip to Wakatobi end of May through first part of June. My wife and I had a beachfront bungalow, she is not diver. We had a great time. Staff was great and diving was very good, if you are into macro stuff.

I made my reservation direct via their web site. Another couple did the same thing and we ended up diving together. There were two other groups there during our 10 day trip and they grouped them together on two other boats. My dive buddy was a friend who recommended this trip. Anyway four of us dove with one of the owners everyday and had a great time. The other two groups also seemed to really like it. Yes it is not cheap but when you figure it was 10 nights, 8 days of diving-3 boat dives plus all the house reef diving you wanted via shore dives or taxi boats it was well worth it. The charter flight to Bali and back was great. Food was ok, I have had better on live-aboards. Had alot of Lamb which I am not fond of but always had a choice of two entrees at lunch and supper. Desserts were outstanding and breakfast was really good.

Very good system for gear, and was always placed on the boat for you. If you did shore dive, staff was right there to help you in and out of the water. Camera area was set up real good.

Our beach bungalow was air con and also had fans. My wife really enjoyed the place and got to visit in the local village a couple of times.

Overall, this place is pristine!! Great corals, lots of macro, super walls. There is some current along the house reef at times and visibility was 70-100 feet most of the time. I am fairly new to diving, only been doing it for 7 years and previous trips have been to Marshall Islands, Truk Lagoon and most of Hawaii since I live there.

Pacificflyer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom