Wakatobi: good but not yet up to its marketing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnowDive

Registered
Reaction score
I visited Wakatabi between June 18-29th 2010. Although I must say I enjoyed my stay very much I feel it important to add a report so future guests can make an informed decision as to if they want to visit. I have worked for 10 years in the travel industry with up to 200 travel days a year in aprox. 40 countries.. This travel has ranged from expeditions through to luxury tours. I have spent nights in tents, bungalows, hotels and luxury resorts. I feel I have seen quite a bit of what the travel industry has to offer. Today I do not longer work in the business.

What Wakatobi probably does best is market itself. When you decide to go upscale and price yourself accordingly then you must expect closer observation.

Let’s start with what definitely works well at Wakatobi:

1) The diving operation runs like clockwork. Well organized, efficient. Very good dive guides. This is crucial in a dive holiday.
2) The staff is what really makes or busts a place. You can be in paradise but if you are there with the wrong people it really is going to affect your experience. In the case of Wakatobi, the staff is genuinely friendly, interested and they know their job. They do not just smile because they have to.
3) The food is good although it’s takes more for me to be able to call it gourmet. Nevertheless, what Wakatobi is good at is at changing the routine around meals. For example, today we’ll eat outside, tomorrow its Mongolian barbecue and your meal is prepared in front of you, etc. Smart with this sort of variation.
4) And of course the location is fantastic.

…and now what I objectively think Wakatobi needs to improve.

1) In my opinion Wakatobi’s weakest point is the accommodation. The standard beach and garden bungalows are really not much more than that: a plain bungalow. Yes the setting is good, but ours had a peeling wall, many big leaks from the thatched roof, a worn out and torn shower curtain, and a bare bulb in the bathroom. I have stayed at dozens of similar bungalows in Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil and even Bali at a fraction of the price. What they also lack is a personal “touch” or “signature”, I feel. On that same Indonesia trip I stayed in bungalows in northern Bali (Siddhartha) and in Komodo (Angel Island Resort) and the quality and workmanship of the accommodation was vastly superior. And the price was considerably lower. Even a Wakatobi Villa still does not match one of the others standard bungalows. Mind you, I did not lose any sleep over any of this but just so you know…

2) I have been informed by several contacts I have in Bali, some of which have friends which worked as dive guides in Wakatobi, that there is a discriminatory work policy with regards to the Indonesian dive guides. Indonesian dive guides are paid less than western dive guides, event though they do the exact same job. I believe in the principle of equal pay for equal work regardless of nationality, race or gender. I find this sort of practice unacceptable.

3) Although guest areas are kept spotless, they need to tidy up some of their storage and operational areas. There is a collection of old mattresses, scrap metal, broken chairs, etc. piled up in some of the service buildings.

4) Wakatobi should provide some sort of leisure activities for its staff. The local staff spend up to a couple of months in one stretch on the island and have really little to do in their free time. Maybe it doesn’t require more than a ping-pong table or a dart board. Although this may sound silly, it is a complaint I heard from many of the Indonesian staff we became friends with while we were there. Invest in them, they are after all what make the place.

5) Wakatobi needs to definitely do something about their check-out procedure. The last day goes mainly into waiting to pay your bill. It feels like you are waiting to see the high school principal, in line with all the other guests. This we did from 8 am until noon.

6) Wakatobi was responsible for losing the luggage of two guests on their chartered plane. A bag with new photo equipment never showed up as was the case with a bag full of dive gear. By the time we left, the luggage was considered lost for good. I believe not just the logistics, but also the handling of the problem with regard to the affected guest needs serious improvement.

7) The scene at the airstrip with the return flight made us understand why luggage was most likely lost. Luggage was loaded and unloaded from the plane at least 5 times trying to make it fit. There was a crowd of at least ten “experts” dealing with this. Not only was the return flight delayed because of this, but luggage was left behind in the end. And, it just looks so amateur.

If you say you are the best and price yourself accordingly then you have no choice but to deliver the goods. Wakatobi is good, but, in my opinion not yet what it markets itself to be. And I repeat: I had a good time and did not let any of their weaknesses bother me. However, I do feel they charge about 20% more than what they should for what they in fact are able to deliver.

2) I have been informed by several contacts I have in Bali, some of which have friends which worked as dive guides in Wakatobi, that there is a discriminatory work policy with regards to the Indonesian dive guides. Indonesian dive guides are paid less than western dive guides, event though they do the exact same job. I believe in the principle of equal pay for equal work regardless of nationality, race or gender. I find this sort of practice unacceptable.
You could have spared yourself the investigative reporting--everybody knows this. It may seem unfair to you, but to equate it to gender or racial bias is missing the point. The western guides have a skill set that the Indonesian guides don't; it may be fluency in languages, it may be the ability to put western guests at ease during dinner conversation. It takes more money to employ, say, a German dive guide than it does an Indonesian one, generally speaking. I believe, based on extensive diving in Indonesia (though not at Wakatobi) that it is as simple as that. I also believe that if a resort thought it could attract and service the same clientele with all Indonesian guides it would, but that wouldn't do anything for their pay scale. They get paid what the market will bear.

How was the diving?

5) Wakatobi needs to definitely do something about their checkout procedure. The last day goes mainly into waiting to pay your bill. It feels like you are waiting to see the high school principal, in line with all the other guests. This we did from 8 am until noon.
The checkout procedure didn't bother me like it seems to bother some guests. While we'd all like the convenience of an "express checkout", that simply doesn't exist in many parts of the world. I found Wakatobi's checkout process far more comfortable than those of the hotels I stayed in on Bali during my trip (Laguna Resort, Ayodya) because I was sitting in an air-conditioned office going over my bill rather than standing at a counter in a hot outdoor lobby. No need to stand in line because they established an order based on whoever arrived first, then you were free to spend your time as you wished until it was your turn to visit the office. Most liveaboards I've been on have a similar check-out process, usually not as orderly. Sure, I'd rather have my room available until it was time to leave for the plane, but I recognize their need to have some time available to turn the rooms over before the next group arrives. Most liveaboards won't even let you eat dinner on the boat on the last night, and even luxury cruise ships make you leave your bags out the night before and boot you out of your cabins in the early morning.

Most liveaboards I've been on have a similar check-out process, usually not as orderly.
Yes, good point.

Most liveaboards won't even let you eat dinner on the boat on the last night, and even luxury cruise ships make you leave your bags out the night before and boot you out of your cabins in the early morning.
Which reminds me of a trip on the Palau Aggressor. We went out to a restaurant and overdid it--wine, cigars, etc. Well, I was nursing one of the worst hangovers I've ever had, and I had to pack my personal stuff, pay, and get off the boat by 8:00 am. I spent two days in a hammock at the Palau Pacific Resort recuperating. :shakehead:

As with most things in life I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Vladimir: there is such a thing as discriminatory employment. It has nothing to do with equating it with racial or gender issues. And, I was part of a travel corporation for 10 years. We had guides from all over the world, foreign and local. Everybody had the exact same contract, the exact same salary and the exact same terms and conditions. The fact that you had a specific nationality did not determine if you were more or less skilled. It was performance that counted and our clients were just as happy and comfortable with locals as they were with foreigners as long as they were good at what they did.

I have just received this statement from the founder of Wakatobi in reply to the information I had been given in Bali which later had also been confirmed by a member of staff at Wakatobi:

"I am happy to confirm to you that while the contracts are structured differently for our foreign and Indonesian dive guides to accommodate their different needs (i.e. much more time off for Indonesians to visit their families), they do earn the same for the same job performance/same amount of time worked.

The staff who told you differently was most likely not aware of the detailed
different structure."

This is then a big plus for Wakatobi since they seem to confirm that they operate differently than what seems to be the standard operating procedure as described above by Vladimir.

Mossman: its good you are happy with the check out procedure. There are however alternatives.

Shasta-man: I agree. I have dived with non-western guides around the world which were more competent than their western counterparts. And knew the waters much better. Also, I was able to observe some extremely good local Indonesian guides at Wakatobi. However here I am not comparing. At Wakatobi all guides were excellent, foreign and Indonesian alike.

How was the diving: I would say the diving is good. Very good if you like macro. It is mostly wall diving with the exception of a few dive sites. The reef is extremely healthy. If the diving is one of "the best in the world", I guess depends on what you have in your luggage, meaning where you have been diving previously, and what your preferences are.

For those interested in diving in the Wakatobi area, in addition to Wakatobi Dive Resort check out the following:

tomiadivecentre.com

-a group of young Indonesians operating out of Tomia Island. This is the island where Wakatobi Dive Resort has their airstrip.

thesevenseas.net

-an aussie run liveaboard with a very good reputation which seems to have included the Wakatobi area as one of their itineraries.

wasagedivers.com

-a british/indonesian running a small operation out of Buton island to parts of the Wakatobi archipelago.

Last edited:
Vladimir: there is such a thing as discriminatory employment. It has nothing to do with equating it with racial or gender issues.
I misunderstood you then. When you said:

Indonesian dive guides are paid less than western dive guides, event though they do the exact same job. I believe in the principle of equal pay for equal work regardless of nationality, race or gender. I find this sort of practice unacceptable.

it seemed like you were equating the different pay scales with inequality due to discrimination on the basis of race or gender. I speculated that the different pay scales might be due to different qualifications (language skills, etc.). As it turns out, there is no difference in pay scales, but your disapproval of discrimination is duly noted, and is laudable.

Thanks for the review.

Mossman: its good you are happy with the check out procedure. There are however alternatives.
I didn't exactly say I was happy with it, but it wasn't bothersome. Now that you've made me rethink the situation, though, it was only the prospect of having to sit around waiting for the plane all morning that had originally bothered me at all; the reality turned out to be quite decent.

Actually it was a good time to say goodbyes to those we had met who were going on the second plane out. It was also a good time for me to finally check out the library, a place I hadn't yet visited the entire 11 days of our trip. They kept the coffee fresh, the ice bucket filled, and when our stomachs now used to three big meals a day with snacks in between started grumbling, they brought out trays of sandwiches. Then I got a brilliant idea: even though I had already closed my account, maybe they would take $5 cash for a large Bintang? Sure enough, they accomodated my request, bringing me my beer on a silver platter (could have been chromed steel, but that's forgiveable on the last day :wink:) - at that point I truly was happy.

I should have thought of that one Mossman! Knowing me, I would have probably had 2 or 3!!!

I have gotten very interested in Wakatobi. Their marketing is superb, so I am glad I read your post. Expand on the diving and snorkeling (my wife will not dive, but she loves to snorkel). Then can you suggest one or two other dive operators/resorts in the same area near Raja Ampat? I am 61 and not sure how long I can dive. This is my ultimate goal. With Wakatobi, can you comment on the quality and variety of their rental gear? I'm just not sure I want to lug my stuff around the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom