Wakatobi Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all you beautiful, smart divers,
I was wonderining if anyone has gone to Wakatobi in the Sulawesi? I just got a flyer and a dvd sent to me and it looks pretty spectacular. My friends and I are thinking of a vacation there next year...this year we are doing Mabul/Sipidan! Yahooo!
Anyone have any info on this place? Sure would appreciate it.
Thanks a million,
Susie

I have been tempted to go to Wakatobi a few times but never managed it, mainly because of the cost! Komodo, Alor, Irian Jaya, Lembeh etc in Indonesia offer at least just as good if not better diving in my opinion and does not cost nearly as much as Wakatobi. I suppose one of these days when I manage to go to all the places that I have listed and have a bit more money than I usually do then Wakatobi might be on the agenda.

Hi Susie,
I have been browsing this site for awhile but as you can see this is my first post.

I wanted to address the cost issue of going to Wakatobi as mentioned by ssra30. There were a few great dive spots mentioned that were noted as being less expensive. I have been to Komodo and the diving is mind blowing. Great critter diving, lush reefs and opportunities for pelagic encounters such as schooling mantas, etc. Komodo is only diveable by liveaboard and to book a 10 day trip the cost would be anywhere around $3-4k for the boat portion. Then add in flights to Bali or Kupang, etc...

I can't tell you much about Alor, but believe it is also by liveaboard.

Irian Jaya or more specifically Raja Empat is now the big buzz and is supposed to be mind blowing as well, with perhaps similar pelagic encounters as Komodo along with more schooling fish, lush corals, tons of critters and inverts and great diversity. It has been very high on my list along with Wakatobi. You can generally do it by liveaboard or a package w/ Papua Diving. Again a 10 night liveaboard is about 300/night and the land based packages are by the week, with 20 dives, so you would book a 2 week trip to get the same amount of diving as a 10 day liveaboard. The cost for the least expensive accomodations is up around $2500-3000 for 2 weeks, plus you have to add in a flight to Sorong, bringing the costs before air to SE Asia to around $3500.

Manado/Lembeh offer some specials for 10 day trips and with air from the US may cost about what the 10 day land package only to Wakatobi may cost, but you really only get just over half as much diving as you would do at Wakatobi for the same amount of time. Lembeh is legendary for it's critter/muck diving and Bunaken has amazing walls and reefs. Likewise, Sipadan has great wall dives and schooling barracuda/jacks/bumphead parrotfish and tons of turtles and Mabul has a lot of the muck critters you would find in Lembeh. I have been to Sipadan in '95 and '99 and can say the diving was excellent, but have seen some of the changes which prompted them to recently close down the land based resorts to give the island a break. You will still love the diving there as it is still awesome, but I am glad they are looking more to conservation to keep it amazing! I think the cost of a 10 day trip to Sipadan/Mabul is around $3300-3500 w/ air from the US.

So here is the comparison. Wakatobi advertizes their 10 day package in a garden bungalow for $2640. This cost includes a flight to the resort from Bali. It includes 10 days of 3 boat dives and unlimited beach diving on what is considered the best house reef on the planet. The reefs are known as being extremely healthy with a lot of great critters and small fish. It may not be as well known for common encounters with pelagics, but if you are looking for great reef diving I hear it can't be beat. The overall cost w/ air from LA is around 3300-3500 or about what it would cost to do the same length of a trip to Sipada/Mabul or just a little more than Manado/Lembeh, but with a LOT more diving. It is also less expensive than the trips to Raja Empat or on many of the Liveaboards in Indonesia, taking all of the travel costs into consideration.

Given all of the above and having to narrow my choice between Raja Empats, Manado/Lembeh and Wakatobi, I found Wakatobi was a better deal for that level of great diving with the amount and freedom of diving I wanted to do.

Given all of that I just booked a trip to Wakatobi for November, and can't wait! Of course I'm sure there are people who could comment more on what to choose based on having been to more of the places, but I could only respond with what I have found looking into the cost issues for similar levels of service and diving and can say Wakatobi doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, from what I've found!

Enjoy your trip to Sipadan/Mabul...I'm sure you will absolutely love it!!!

Carribeansoul,
Thanks sooooo much for the indepth comparisons. Wow, that was fantastic! I think for the price and the level of creature comforts, Wakatobi is sounding more and more enticing! It's a long way off and I am really looking forward to Sipidan/Mabul in May.
Wish I could go now!
Where are you from anyways?
Susie

Carribeansoul, I completely agree with your analysis of the differences in the type of diving and critters in various area but the price seemed very high. Not including airfare to Bali, Komodo liveaboard trip I did a year ago was $1500 for 1 week including domestic airfare. A friend is going to Irian Jaya for 10 days liveaboard for $1800 (including airfare from Manado to Surong). Later on this year I will be in Lembeh for a week paying way less than Komodo or Irian Jaya. 18 months ago I was in Sipadan for 6 days and paid well under $1000. In SE Asia, you can also do a week of great diving in the Philippines for under $1000. So at least when booking locally in SE Asia not including airfare, Wakatobi seems to be consistantly at least 50% to 100% more expensive than other sites.
Of course when you travel a long distance such as from the US, the airfare becomes a much more significant part of the total cost and the price of the diving/accomodation is less of an issue.
I am sure it is a great place and certainly I will want to visit it one of these days.

Hi Everybody !

Wakatobi would really be a great place to go.I was looking at going but the costs really are high and i would really of liked two weeks,especially coming all the way from the UK.

Been to most of the top spots around this beautiful part of the world i did feel a empty feeling about not going to Wakatobi,then i found that you can get a Liveaboard to Wakatobi area 12days/11 nights $2090,so October i will go.

But i would really love to explore the house reef which is real world class.

WOW ssra30!!! Those are some great deals! Maybe I should have talked to you first! I know there are great deals to Manado, but I wanted the freedom of doing as much diving as possible without being limited to some of the dive packages which mainly did 2 tanks at Bunaken per day. What liveaboard did you do in Komodo? I was on the Pelagian for 11 nights, and was lucky to grab a last minute deal, but it was still a bit more. Also, if your trip was for a week, I am assuming you had 5 or 6 days of diving and I was pricing for around 10 days of divng, which may bring it up a bit more. I had checked out a few liveaboards for the Raja Empats, such as Komodo Adventure and Kararu, but again they were a lot more. Papua Diving shows rates higher than that online as well, for the land based diving. Which one is your friend on? Looks like I'm either not looking in the right places or there is a great difference in the level of service or length of the trip. I have to say, if I could afford it, I would have done the Kupang to Sorong trip on Adventure Komodo...diving with Larry Smith is as good as it gets. He's the best I've ever dove with and found tons of amazing critters for us to photograph. You can say, you get what you pay for and having him as divemaster was worth every bit! So in that case I don't mind paying the extra, if it's in my budget.

Anyway, when I went to Sipadan I was able to get special deals by going in the off season. I know a year or two ago, Wakatobi was offering great specials, but now it seems they are booking pretty solid and don't really need to offer those incentives to pull people in. There are great deals out there, just need to be lucky enough to find one where you are looking to go, when you want to go.

Thanks ssr30 and look forward to more details! Hope everything is well for you in Thailand.

caribbeansoul, I suppose one of the benefit of being in SE Asia is being able to get a deal especially around the Asian Dive Expo. Many resorts will offer a pretty good deal, generally around 20-30% off their published price.
When I was in Komodo, I was with Grand Komodo. Can't get on their website currently for some reason, it is at www.komodoalordive.com but here is an alternative address: http://www.diveguide.com/p4540.htm . The boat is not nearly as nice as the Palegians but still very comfortable and their local diveguides are very good.
A friend of mine is also using them for the Irian Jaya trip (which I can't go unfortunatey). This year, there are quite a few Thai boats going to Lembeh between July-September. While there is really no advantage in comparison to the landbase operators such as KBR as far as traveling time is concerned, they tend to offer a lot more divings and the price is pretty good as well.
Unfortunately many dive operators do have different rates for locals and visitors and sometimes the price can be quite different. Wakatobi (unfortunately for me) is not one of them. A group of us were thinking about going there around April-May and found out that they only have the more expensive rooms available for a little over $3000 each for 10 days so we will have to give it a pass this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom