Waivers on private boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtsey.

I have a lot of lawyer friends that I love very much. Just Bruce fore example used to make wonderful posts about legal issues, here on SB. He struggled with DM issues, friend divers and he owns a boat also. I think we really have to appreciate lawyers that give freely of their time and advice.

To describe the litigious climate of America and how it has affected recreating with friends and aquaintances is very relevant in today's dive world, IMO. I think it is also fair to say that you need to be more acutely aware of legal issues with attorneys, than say, a military guy. (I feel most comfortable with them, from a legal standpoint doing things like solo, navigation, etc)

I have a lot of lawyer friends that I love very much. Just Bruce fore example used to make wonderful posts about legal issues, here on SB. He struggled with DM issues, friend divers and he owns a boat also. I think we really have to appreciate lawyers that give freely of their time and advice.

To describe the litigious climate of America and how it has affected recreating with friends and aquaintances is very relevant in today's dive world, IMO. I think it is also fair to say that you need to be more acutely aware of legal issues with attorneys, than say, a military guy. (I feel most comfortable with them, from a legal standpoint doing things like solo, navigation, etc)

It's not so much the decedent or victim, who often stated they were responsible for their own actions, but the family of the decedent, who will file suit. Military or otherwise.

yes, I know that. But if their wives know they solo...that helps. And military...okay officer's wives are not of the mindset to blame someone else, they live with certain realities. It is a different mindset. I think it comes from not passing the buck.

Just like I don't worry about Japanese (Asian cultures, in general) suing me either. Profiling works for me. I profile who is a red flag for a lawsuit before they ever get on the boat. And if they go, and start bragging about their big settlement or disablity check, that is a clue, lol. Urbanites are higher risk, etc. The more a person *lives in a legal climate*, the more you need to watch out. Intellectual elitists will sue your pants off.

If they talk about their kids...and how their problems are /everything is somebody else's fault...that is another clue. I can usually spot them, I have lots of practice from air ambulance days, risk management etc. Not bragging, just saying that would be more my goal
than a waiver. Size people up first.

In medicine, people sue for bad outcomes. Often, the best surgeons have a lot of bad outcomes, because they get the most complicated cases... A bad outcome on a personal recreatonal boat does not mean negligence, it might mean you have a certain mindset on your boat. Eliminating those guests is the best most pro-active thing you can do to protect yourself, not get a lawyer.

We also don't invite people that look unhealthy. It is just too risky. It does not mean we are not friends, maybe even very close friends...but we don't want the responsibility or risk.

I don't let friends with toddlers use my house, unless I am home, because the pool is off the living room....friends of my kids can only sleep over if they can swim, etc. We have ocean kayaks that the kids use, I know which parents are probably okay and which ones kid's can't even come on the dock. My kids, the ocean, and boating has really required I pay attention to these things. I don't plan on getting waivers every time somebody borrows a surfboard, you know? I just eliminate certain types from my network.

I had a lawyer friend from SB, take me sailing and he asked me not to wear a diamond ring. I respect that...it is his boat. He has decided what he wants to deal with and what he does not. He doesn't want the drama of people losing things on his boat...

Military or otherwise.
I bet they sue less than the general population.

Last edited:
hey just offer to take the people back to the same shark infested waters...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom