Waikiki Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at a large aerial photo of Waikiki Beach on a 2005 calendar, and it looks like there are lots of reefs sprinkled throughout the water, all the way from the Hilton Hawaiian Village to Diamond Head. Is that area divable, or maybe it's so busy that all the marine life heads elsewhere? I'd also imagine that divers would be target practice for the surfers.

There are 3 dive off Waikiki every day

A list of the sites off Waikiki:

Sea Tiger
YO 257
San Pedro
Kaiser Reef
Turtle canyons
100' hole (I think that's what it's called - haven't done it yet)
Kewalo Pipe
Kehi Pipe

There are some divers that shore dive off Kaka'ako pipe. I've beed told there is a nice little reef past the Nanatorium, towards Diamond Head.

It's possible to snorkel along the stretch fronting Kapiolani Park (the Kaimana Hotel and San Souci beach which is just to the left of the Natatorium) but it's very shallow, say, an average of 6ft and not more than about 12ft. If there's any kind of waves, well, poor viz and rock-rash is no fun. Just about anyplace else, I'd be afeared of loose surfboards, loose tourists, and canoes. Yeah, some really rotten surfers may intentionally try to "skeg" you (i.e. slice you with the surfboard's fin) but that tank on your back is a deterrent as is that samurai sword strapped to your calf. But anyway, as a practical rule, if surfers are there, you shouldn't be.

On the plus side, periodically (alternating years?) there's a total ban on fishing and if you get in at the right time, you'll get to see a lot of fish that might not usually be seen. On the western end of Waikiki, near the Halekulani and Hale Koa, there occassionally have been extremely close inshore sightings of baby hammerheads (1 to 2ft long) during the pupping season, usually beginning from early summer. Fairly harmless but very very exciting.

Contact or drop by the Waikiki Aquarium; they might have better tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom