Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Settle down Sunfish ;-). You know it's true!! I just get so frustrated trying to book air travel at those times as it makes good use of my holiday as well, and I get 5 weeks! Well I have to make the most of my time out in this part of the world.

I started booking flights for April 28th this year last October. I did not get my flight confirmed until April 11th - very frustrating when you have already shelled out a huge amount of money for diving.

This time I got my flight - but I can't get back till 7th Jan as HIS or whoever have booked all the other flights - and then my diving. Means I missed out on a good trip, but hopefully have another one as good booked.

Probably going to be in the Tago area 12-14 - are you going to be out diving?

Jonathan

....and going directly to the airlines or to a web site like Orbitz. I have had success this way when a travel agent told me that everything was booked. Everything available to that travel agent was booked, but I found my own way to go where I wanted to go.

Jonathan, never said I disagreed...just that I resented it :p Going to be on my way home from London the weekend you mentioned. I expect it will be ALMOST as much fun as diving...:p I am considering a trip to Osezaki the week after that, however.

And Jonathan is absolutely right. If you want to dive someplace close to Japan like Palau or Bali or the Thai resorts, avoid the time frames Jonathan mentioned. I know I sure do.

Hi Chiara,

Just found your post. I dream of the Maldives! It looks like the last Paradise on Earth. I went through the same thing trying to book a trip there. Here are a couple of tips:

1. The main problem for the Maldives is that none of the big airlines fly there daily. The only one seems to be Emirate Airlines. Their flights are really expensive and I am not aware of any travel operators that work with them in bulk. Most other airlines will fly you there once a week.

2. Most of the resorts work with travel ops, Kuoni being a good one, as previously advised on the thread. You'll find plenty of others on the net. If your travel agent is not skilled enough to help you, do it yourself or find another agent. If you go to most of the hotels websites, they'll feature a link to the travel ops they work with. It'll be much cheaper than booking directly.

In short, I don't know if you have a lot of flexibility in your job regarding your vacation dates, but it's probably a good idea to have your travel agent check the best dates for the resort you want to go to. A good agent will possibly recommend other options to accomodate you, too. I didn't have that kind of flexibility and had to forego my plans. They were rooms available, but all the flights were sold out.

On another note, you may want to consider the fact that in these trouble times, the Maldives may not be the best destination. If Bush has it his way with Irak, anything East of Turkey is going much more difficult to reach.

Hope this is helpful.

Arnaud once bubbled...
1. The main problem for the Maldives is that none of the big airlines fly there daily. The only one seems to be Emirate Airlines. Their flights are really expensive and I am not aware of any travel operators that work with them in bulk. Most other airlines will fly you there once a week.

Air Lanka flyes twice a week to Male, changing planes in Colombo, and they are the company my usual tour operator for the area.

In short, I don't know if you have a lot of flexibility in your job regarding your vacation dates, but it's probably a good idea to have your travel agent check the best dates for the resort you want to go to. A good agent will possibly recommend other options to accomodate you, too. I didn't have that kind of flexibility and had to forego my plans. They were rooms available, but all the flights were sold out.

I am flexible at work, but my birthday is not :jester:

But the biggest news is that I now have a booking, on the plane and at the resort, and I even managed to contact the diving centre! :wink:

Through my usual travel agency, I suppose they didn't want to lose a very regular customer and found a way to make me happy :D

hey great news!

Now if I can get your travel agent to sort me out a hotel over new years......

Just kidding have a great birthday in the sun!

Jonathan

Enjoy Heaven on Earth and report to us when you're back!

I am glad things turned out well!! :)
You will LOVE the Maldives...
Let's see... where am I going to celebrate my next birthday???
Ahhh yes: Philadelphia ;-0

Have a blast :wink:

Back
Top Bottom