Vytec users, I have a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have not dived with mine yet. I was playing with the plan mode last night and thought the NDL times to bit a conservative, in comparison to the NAUI tables. I assume this is a square profile under plan as the dive progresses it will add some time for the less than square profile we actually do.

Examples:
50'-comp.=69min tables=80min, 60'-c=50min t=55min, 70'-c=36min t=45, 80'-c=28min t=35min

Thanks in advance

P.S. Anything else you would like to share about the Vytec is appreciated.

Remember that a table computes time from departure from the surface on the way down until you begin your ascent.

The plan mode gives you pure bottom time (e.g. you "transport" down)

Second, almost no dive is a true square profile.

You will find in real use that the Vytec will allow you to do real dives that you could not do on tables, even if the "real dives" are wrecks with little relief and thus are essentially square profiles.

Genesis:
Remember that a table computes time from departure from the surface on the way down until you begin your ascent.

The plan mode gives you pure bottom time (e.g. you "transport" down)

Second, almost no dive is a true square profile.

You will find in real use that the Vytec will allow you to do real dives that you could not do on tables, even if the "real dives" are wrecks with little relief and thus are essentially square profiles.
Thanks Karl. Appreciate the info.

No problem.

BTW, while the Suuntos are legendary for being conservative, be aware that they're not really all that conservative for decompression diving or repetitive dives that get close to the NSLs.

If you dive one into deco make a proper profile ascent rather than just going to the "ceiling" displayed and waiting!

Also, consider making deep stops and a deco-like ascent profile any time you get real close to the NSLs..... its just a good practice any time you're approaching the limits to treat it as if you have reached them.

Genesis:
No problem.

BTW, while the Suuntos are legendary for being conservative, be aware that they're not really all that conservative for decompression diving or repetitive dives that get close to the NSLs.

If you dive one into deco make a proper profile ascent rather than just going to the "ceiling" displayed and waiting!

Also, consider making deep stops and a deco-like ascent profile any time you get real close to the NSLs..... its just a good practice any time you're approaching the limits to treat it as if you have reached them.
Thanks again, I don't believe I will be doing decompression diving (I know it's really all deco diving) in the immediate future. But the repetitve dives I have coming up in PDC look like they are going to be coming real close to NSLs. I already planned (informed my buddy) that I(we) will be doing several stops on the way up. A minute at 30' another at 20' then 5 at 15'. We are planning on doing some OOA drills while hanging if we can. If nothing else I want to just practice stopping at different depths and working on bouyancy skills.

As Genesis stated the computer will give you more credit for the shallow portions on an acutal dive and in the end allow more bottom time than a "square" profile on a table.

The computer however uses more conservative limits in general as in essesnce, every dive with a computer is a square profile. So by design the saftey margin that you are supposed to add to a table when doing a square profile is basically built into the computer for you.

Most computers show a nitrogen bar graph coded in green, yellow and red and on many computers it's a good idea to stay at the saftey stop until you are back in the green on multi-day repetetive dives to add a little extra saftey margin.

Computers are a little less conservative on deco dives as again it is essentially the same as diving a square profile to the limit. So again a little extra time in the water is a good idea.

When diving with my computer I normally do a 1 minute deep stop, and a 3 min stop at 20'. When deco diving I will either add a 1 min 30' stop and extend the 20' stop by 3 minutes and the 10' stop by 5 minutes or alternatively do a deep stop at 70', the ascent from 70 ft, and the required deco all on Nitrox 50 rather than the air, Nitrox 32 or 36 the computer thinks I am using.

DA Aquamaster:
So again a little extra time in the water is a good idea.
Thanks for the info.

All things being equal, I see no reason to hurry to the top or get out of the water quickly. After all isn't that the reason I am there? Nice slow ascent hang as long as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom