Vyper Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'm getting a handle of your question about the indicators...

Probably the simplest solution is to pay attention how many "blocks" it takes to fill up the indicator, as well as what the display looks like when it is 25%, 50%, and 75% "full".

This way, much like you can make a fairly accurate guess what time it is by the position of the clock hands (even when you can't see the numbers), you can make a fairly accurate guess as to "where you are" on the graph based upon how "filled up" it is.

Does that help any?

Yes -- you hold the button for 2 seconds....but sometimes I think I've pressed it, and I haven't.

I have no idea about the left hand side markings....I don't pay attention to them when diving. I don't do alot of multiple deep dives, so these markings are somewhat meaningless to me.

Mike is right -- you can't see the color bar very well...but if you know how many bars equal green vs. yellow vs. red....you're OK.

Originally posted by TexasMike
I think I'm getting a handle of your question about the indicators...

Probably the simplest solution is to pay attention how many "blocks" it takes to fill up the indicator, as well as what the display looks like when it is 25%, 50%, and 75% "full".

This way, much like you can make a fairly accurate guess what time it is by the position of the clock hands (even when you can't see the numbers), you can make a fairly accurate guess as to "where you are" on the graph based upon how "filled up" it is.

Does that help any?

Yes -- I guess that's how you'd have to do it. It seems that if you use the upper line over the remaining NDT display as a gauge, you'll stay in the green zone.

Have you tried the Versa Pro (Oceanic) or the similar Atmos 2? How do they compare to the Vyper??

As much as I'd love to play with all of the "toys" that are available to divers, I haven't had the chance to look at a "live" versioin of the computers you are speaking of.

I think Dee uses the Oceanic, so you might ask her opinion.

Hi DivingDoc,

I also have a Vyper, although it's the wrist-mount version.

Regarding the graphs, I hardly ever look at the CBT display. The no-decompression time display in the centre tells you the same thing, more clearly IMO. I don't care what percentage of my bottom time I have used up, I just want to know how many minutes I have left.

With the ascent rate display, I uses TexasMike's approach. I don't look at the colours, even during the day. I just count the blocks: one block, two blocks, three blocks... okay, slow down.

The buttons have to be pressed assertively. Not my favourite feature, but I've got used to it.

The backlight is fine for night diving, in my experience. It's pretty dark in the water at night, so you don't need much of a glow to make the display readable.

Can't comment on the Nitrox display, because I haven't used it.

I can't tell you whether you'll be happy with your Vyper... it depends what you want. I've been happy with mine. The only thing I would change is to have a graph showing nitrogen loading rather than the CBT display.

Zept

I have both the Vyper and the Stinger (Vyper on the right wrist and the Stinger on the left under my glove) and have never had a problem with either one. The left side bar graph switches between O2 and N2 depending on which one has the greatest impact and will switch from one to the other during a dive if the loading becomes a limiting factor. I have never had a problem with the buttons on the Vyper with bare hands or with gloves. During my night/low-vis dives I have never had a problem reading the display either with the backlight or with a small flashlight I keep tied to my BC for the purpose of reading my gauges. You get used to the bars on the graphs after a couple of dives and don't have to worry so much about seeing the colors beside them.

Originally posted by DivingDoc
Check out the demo for the Versa Pro at:

or the Atmos 2 at:

And then let me know what you think.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'm qualified to provide any more opinion than I already have.

Also, the ultimate choice is yours. We (everyone who is contributing to the board) can relay our experiences, but we often are not qualified to provide detailed comparison analysis between models since in most cases, we have never had the chance actively use the different models.

Those that own the specific model you want information about are able to answer that question. But the question, "Well, if that's the case, how does that compare to that on brand 'Y'?" puts us all out of our league.

I can give you an additional tip on conducting you research. Take some time to visit the LDS that has one or more of of these computers. Ask them if you can read through the instruction manual(s) while sitting in the store. Often these manuals will answer the questions you have better than we can, and you will have the information you need to draw your own conclusions.

Originally posted by cbriggs77
I have both the Vyper and the Stinger (Vyper on the right wrist and the Stinger on the left under my glove) and have never had a problem with either one. The left side bar graph switches between O2 and N2 depending on which one has the greatest impact and will switch from one to the other during a dive if the loading becomes a limiting factor.

You mean it switches automatically??

BTW -- the Suunto people tell me that the bar graph on the left is not nitrogen loading, even for air dives. It's consumed bottom time -- something I find harder to relate to. Here is an e-mail from Suunto regarding this:

"The CBT graph is directly related to bottom time as opposed to nitorgen
loading. This is a more realistic because on nitrogen bar graphs you
don't know which is the cotrolling tissue, i.e., a half full tissue
graph means nothing unless you know if a fast or slow tissue is
controlling it. Hope that makes sense."

Am I the only one that doesn't really look at that graph? On an air dive, I watch the remaining bottom time (displayed as minutes) and follow that. When I got the computer I was a little mystified about the CBT thing too...I figured I didn't need it as long as I knew I was within the NDL based on the numeric bottom time remaining display.

I noticed you are in Richmond...ever dive Lake Rawlings? Let me know if you are up for a trip sometime and we can play with our Vypers :D

--Eric

Back
Top Bottom