VT4.0 (4.1) - "Tissue Load" not receeding, DECO 1min into 3'rd dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandy Dameron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to figure out what went wrong. :(

First day of diving in Cozumel, on a 3 dive day, 1min into 3'rd dive, VT4.0 DC went into DECO mode - Yikes!

After downloading dive log detail into OceanLog (ver 2.3.7) I can see my Tissue Load Bar Graph segments were not receeding after each surface interval. 1 min into 3'rd dive TLBG segment crossed to '5', which started the DECO state.

Surface interval between dives 1 & 2: 4 hrs.
Surface interval between dives 2 & 3: 35 min.

I had to reset the DC to clear VIOLATION for following days. Never had the problem again during the remaining days of the trip. Looking at dive log detail for other days the TLBG did receed after each dive and surface interval. For example, the second day, after the first dive, TLBG was 3, then after :51 min surface interval it was down to 1.

I've uploaded a spreadsheet with the first two days of dive detail where you can see the detail.

Any insights on what may have happened would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sandy

Attachments

• Dive Log - Cozumel - Oct 2012.xlsx
    119.8 KB · Views: 69
I would send it back to Oceanic. I had a similar error happen one time with my OC1.

It wanted you to do an hour and a half at 10'??

Yeah... Call Oceanic support and they should fix it.

Thanks for the reply Howard. Well, at least I'm not alone and not crazy. (Ok - maybe still crazy.) It sure makes you scratch you head when that happens. Dive Master basically told be underwater to forget about it, it was obviously wrong. While I was pretty sure it was not accurate, it was still a bit unsettling the rest of the dive. I think I need to invest in a secondary/backup DC for that reason. Like you - at 1min in, DC was saying DECO for :34min @ 10 ft. By end of 55 min dive it was up to 1:49 @ 10 ft. I tried contacting Oceanic tech support via their webpage support request - no response yet.

I can't find my dive log or emails between myself and Oceanic from that dive. It was back in 2009... But I was at like 60' for an hour, then on the second dive, it immediately went into deco once I passed 20' - I returned it to Oceanic... once it came back to me it hasn't happened since, and I've used it on about 600 dives since then.

How old is it, you should send it back to Oceanic. We are an authorized dealer if you want we can send it in for you. Your best bet would be to have them take care of it. They do a great job.

I have the same model, VT4.1 and almost the same exact thing happened to me in Cozumel back in August. I sent it back to Oceanic, they said it was a bug in the firmware and upgraded it to the latest version. I think they said the malfunction is triggered by checking the planning menu prior to the second dive. I'm somewhat concerned that the Oceanlog software didn't tell me that a firmware upgrade was necessary since I could have done that myself and not had the problem nor been without my computer for 3 weeks.

---------- Post Merged at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:23 PM ----------

I just looked at your spreadsheet, its crazy how similar our problems were. My violation happened 2 minutes into dive 2 after an hour surface interval, dive 1 was 50 minutes at a max depth of 75 feet. In dive 2, I went from a 9 hour NDC time at a depth of 18 feet 2 seconds later into a DECO obligation of 1 hour at 10 feet.

Looking at it looks like it kept diver after the first dive also your air time drop as well. Or what Prosdog said about the bug.

Thanks all for the replies!

I did finally talk with Oceanic support - not much help other than "Send it in!" Support person could not really speak to the computer or the issue. So "Send it in!" was the only option. I hate not being able to talk with someone on the tech side when you have a problem like this. Does not give me confidence that anything will really be done when I send it in since it started working again after I reset it.

So why bother?

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of confidence using it now since I have no idea what caused the issue in the first place, and why it just started working again. When they say I have the latest firmware already on the device, not really sure what they can do. So I'll send it in, spend $25 on shipping, get it back, and not really know if the issue was ever identified and fixed, only to think about it every time I go diving again, wondering if it's going to happen again.

Ok - this is not a blog so I'll stop.

Thanks again all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom