VT3 problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent trip to Bonaire, my VT3 started flashing EL2 (alternating with NORM). I looked in the owner's manual and it was clear as mud, but the best I could determine was that my computer thought I was at altitude. The EL2 did say my depth was limited to 107 feet maximum, and although it wasn't a big deal since we weren't diving deep, this would have been a big concern at other dive destinations.

Once I got home I let it shut down and sit for 48 hours before turning it on again. It seems to be fine now, flashing NORM.

I'm curious as to whether or not this is a malfunction of the software and it should be sent back to Oceanic or just one of those weird things that happens sometimes. I've lost a bit of confidence in my VT3 since now I'm concerned this will happen again at a destination where I may want to go deeper than 107 feet.

There was also one day toward the end of the trip where one vertical line was gone on the far right of the display for about 15 minutes of a dive. It was only on the main screen as it appeared as I toggled through the screens, so was quite the head scratcher.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Doug, any advice?

There was an issue like this about two years ago if I remember right. There were a couple different computers flashing EL2. It didn't hurt anything, I don't remember anybody actually having depth restricted.

Oceanic issued a firmware update that resolved the issue I believe.

A quick call to Oceanic service should get you the latest firmware version number, and your local Oceanic dealer should be able to update your PDC.

Mine would boot up, flash 'ALT' about five times and shut down. Sent it back to Oceanic almost a month and a half ago. Still haven't gotten it back.

I have a bunch of Oceanic computers (Versa Pro, VT Pro (2), VT3, Atom 2.0) and the one thing they all have in common is that they do funny things when the battery gets "low". The battery indicators on the computers seem to go from "good" or full, to something less very fast. Most of the time the low battery problems appear when downloading data, either a failure to download, or garbage data (unless you believe a water temperature of 14F in Roatan). I've only had one computer give questionable data when diving, when my wife's VT Pro indicated decompression stops from her 265foot dive (we were no deeper than 35 feet on that dive). After the dive, the computer indicated that the battery was less than full.

52.jpg

79b.jpg

I now replace all my batteries (computer and sending unit) before a trip, regardless of what the battery meter might indicate. I also dive with two computers, so if I have a "failure" of some type, I can keep diving.

Thanks everyone, you guys rock! We did change the battery, but since the computer never shut down in Bonaire, the EL2 kept flashing. Perhaps that's why it stopped once it shut down and was restarted.

Hopefully Doug will chime in and give me the final piece of advice whether I need to do anything.

Sent it back to Oceanic almost a month and a half ago. Still haven't gotten it back.

Did you give it to your LDS or ship it directly to Oceanic? I'd call Oceanic tomorrow. The only times I've ever heard of Oceanic taking any time at all to fix something is when an LDS didn't send it in. Oceanic turns their repairs around in days, not weeks.

Did you give it to your LDS or ship it directly to Oceanic? I'd call Oceanic tomorrow. The only times I've ever heard of Oceanic taking any time at all to fix something is when an LDS didn't send it in. Oceanic turns their repairs around in days, not weeks.

Via LDS.

I have an Atom 2.0 and last year I started to have the EL2 flash like the OP described. I found online somewhere, somebody suggested to get it into lukewarm water. Apparently, even if you rinse the computer after every dive, sometimes some minerals get stuck on the sensors and cause false readings. This rinsing worked from mine and cleared the problem right away. Just something to try.

Cheers!
Willy

Having some full scale problems with my LDS concerning my VT3. Not being treated very well, at all. Just sent them an e-mail. The type of response I get will dictate whether I go off stark raving madman and talk heavy poopies about them on all the dive forums I belong to.This should be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom