VT3 Backlight inop...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsorenson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys…

My old computer died so… had to buy a VT3 while here in Bonaire… HAD to… now that’s funny! :D

I am hoping the vendor will jump in on this as I have searched the archives and have found no real issues with the backlight on the VT3… I know about the smart sensor and when I check, only a small very dim light comes on at the 3 oclock position. I checked and have changed the time interval from 5 sec to 10 sec and back but not enough light illuminates to see, much less read the computer…

I have rechecked in both the ocean last night and in the dark room with only the same results as described above…

I have about 9 dives on it with 3 night dives… Again, I know about the smart sensor and ambient light and ambient light is NOT the problem… I really like the computer and do not want to return it as the second one WanaDive has here does the same thing, at least when tested in a dark closet… I would like for the backlight to work… My wife was asking me why I needed the backlight since she does not use hers but I explained that at times it comes in handy e.g. when setting the Nitrox when getting in… I don’t have the three hands required to push both buttons and hold the light while doing so…

Any help would be appreciated… lee

Assuming its not a physical failure, I believe this series of computers that use EL for back lights, will disable the back light if the battery is low.

Are you getting a low battery indicator?

DC...

thanks for chiming in on this...

Via computer interface, the battery is good...

lee

Actually, I've heard quite a bit about the backlight issue for Oceanic dive comp.
I have an Oceanic Geo and the backlight got dimmer and dimmer and eventually failed after 1.5-2 years. I have a lot of friends using the Oceanic Geo and all of them have this problem. The problem does not go away with change of battery.

Hopefully some Oceanic stuff can come on and let us know what can be done?
I'll be hesitant to buy another Oceanic dive comp in future if the backlight issue isn't solved.

Lj, thanks for the response... Actually I have been talking with a rep and was asked to send it back when I got back to the states. I should be able to return it next week as this week is a catch up week after being gone for two weeks...

I hope this will not be an ongoing problem as I tried to research the VT3 before purchase and saw no issues.

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom