VT3 Alternate Displays - Odd Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hueydok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello. I am looking at buying the VT3 but after reading the manual noticed an odd choice of alternate displays in dive mode. For example, the NORM DIVE NO DECO ALT 1 display will show the day of the week, the temp. and the current time. The NORM DIVE NO DECO ALT 2 display shows transmitter selection, max. depth, ATR details, etc. Finally, the NORM DIVE NO DECO ALT 3 shows gas selection, PO2 level, and FO2 setting.

My rub on these selection screens is that they are out of order, particularly the Alt 1 screen, as I could care less what day of the week it is while underwater. In my view, the most important screen is ALT 3, so I can see my PO2 loading. In fact, the ideal ALT 1 screen should show PO2 level, max. depth, gas selection, FO2 setting and the temp.

I notice that the Atom 2.0 and the OC1 both seems to have gained from someone else also questioning the order of alternate screens, since they have been changed to show more relevant dive information on the first ALT screen and then less relevant information on subsequent screens.

So - a question, since I have not actually dove with the VT3 yet. Is the (online) manual correct in showing the order of ALT screens in Dive mode, or were there any firmware/software updates that changed them around? I know that each generation of computer gains something from its predecessors in navigation and features, but I am stumped as to why a programmer would have the day of the week on the 1st ALT screen (and not much else besides the time and temp). I like this computer a lot and will probably purchase one very soon, but that crazy ALT screen display is one that I just had to ask about.

I add some pics of the three ALT screens for easy reference. I think you can quickly see the odd order of selection.

Thanks!

Attachments

• VT3 Alt 1.jpg
    VT3 Alt 1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 21
  • VT3 Alt 2.jpg
    VT3 Alt 2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 31
  • VT3 Alt 3.jpg
    VT3 Alt 3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 27
During startup after the computer does it's startup check and at the start of a dive the VT3 goes into the Alt2 screen the Alt1 screen is between dives or standby after a timeout waiting to dive and the alt3 is the alternate screen during a dive.

Really? So underwater during the dive pressing the A button takes you directly to Alt3? Interesting the manual does not mention that. No offense, but can anyone else corroborate that? That is a GOOD thing if true, since I did not want press multiple times to get to a screen.

Back
Top Bottom