VT pro losing data link

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvigue

Registered
Reaction score
My brother purchased a VT pro computer new for dive school and during the first few dives it exhibited a persistent link failure issue. Since he was not at the time close to an Oceanic dealer he replaced the VT pro with a hose-attached air-integrated computer and retired the VT to the closet for several years.

He is now a dive master and is instructing me, and I get to inherit the VT pro and it's connection issue, so I am asking for help.

The computer will lose link and alarm (beep) if I wear the display unit on my left wrist unless I keep the display unit within about 16" of the transmitter.

I remounted the display unit on the Oceanic retractor that is purpose designed to fit the VT line of wrist computers and attached the retractor to my left BC (Oceanic Islander 2) shoulder strap but the unit still persists in losing the data link.

I think something is not right here.

Any ideas?

Give our guys in customer service a call - 800-435-3483, ext. 761

I sent almost precisely the same message to the tech support email queue just before I posted here, will that get a similar quality response as a phone call? I ask because email is a lot better for me.

Phones are typically a bit quicker - the guys can get a lot done with head sets on. If email works better for you - that works also.

Mark has contacted me already and sent instructions on getting the unit serviced. I'm slightly disappointed that I will apparently have to pay to fix this issue even though it was exhibited from essentially day one but I understand my instructor should have sent this off as soon as the problem was noticed.

Good news is the unit is almost new - he switched to the other comp really soon after the display started beeping - so I can buy the VT cheap and slightly used. Apparently instructors take a dim view of random beeping alarms when instructing large classes.

Along with the retractor and compass mount accessories it makes a nice unit.

Great response time from tech support, thanks Oceanic, Doug, Mark.

EDIT:

In case anyone else finds this post with a similar issue, here is the tech support response in part:

If your VT Pro loses link at distances beyond about 18”, it probably has a weak radio frequency (RF) generator in the transmitter unit. However, the receiver in the wrist unit may also be the issue, so I recommend that we bring both components back to the factory for evaluation and service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom