VR3 or Hammerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazza

Reaction score
My question was that the Hammerhead is a decompression computer for the Inspiration, correct e if I am wrong . its connected with the lib like the old hand set.
But what do u think to have a Hammerhead or a VR3 connected to the unit? Doesn’t play the same role .and if yes, don’t u think that the VR3 its better than the Hammerhead cos u can use it later on as a Tri Mix computer or nitrox or air computer with ( OC ), but the Hammerhead it will always be in the Inspiration.
So hope I can have a clear answer or maybe some explanation between both.
thanks

The hammerhead is a full trimix decompression computer, It does not have to be used with the inspiration, just disconnect the cable and put the cap on the wrist unit.

The hs-explorer can also be used with the inspiration to track real time PO2, cell holders are available for the draeger, azimuth and inspiration..

The vr3 is known for its poor tracking with the inspiration electronics (the explorer seems to track closely, I'll verify the vr3 against the hammerhead in the next week or so, that should be help validate who the culprit is)

I have both the Vr3 and Explorer and I prefer the explorer bar far... I should have my hammerhead within the next day or two

As often in life, opinions differ. There are plenty of people who like the VR3 and have head no problems with it. Have a look at the manuals, the ones for the DeltaP VR3 and the HS Explorer are available online at their respective sites:

http://www.vr3.co.uk/index.shtml

http://www.hs-eng.com/

That should give you an idea of what they are capaple of. As for the Hammerhead, it's more than just a computer. It's a replacement head that mounts onto the Inspiration's scrubber, in lieu of the Inspirations head including the two controller/displays. Instead of those, the Primary Control Unit controlls the CCR, and includes a full featured CCR/OC Trimixcomputer that can be taken off the cable and used independently as a dive computer. The Secondary Control Unit only monitors and displaus the ppO2, and controls the HUD/DIVA of the unit. To give the HH true redundancy, it share no common parts with the PCU.
For a good look at the HH either go to the manufacturer's website, or
Divemole. On both the information is about the same and will give you a good idea just how much more than just a computer the Hammerhead is:

http://www.electricfilm.com/hammerhead.html

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/divemole.htm

[disclaimer - non-RB user asking a question!]

The Hammerhead certainly looks like an impressive and well thought-out piece of gear... but isn't it replacing all of the Inspiration's proprietary electronics?

Seeing as almost all of the other Inspiration components appear to be replaceable with custom doodads (I think I've seen everything except scubbers and hoses!), is it feasible that nowadays someone could construct an Inspiration-based rebreather, without actually ever purchasing or owning an Inspiration? Sort of like how you can build your own backplate and wing system using a combination of any number of private and commercial components, you could build your own "Neospiration" from scratch. I realise that there are a LOT of existing homebuilt RB designs around out there, but it seems that almost every component of the Inspiration has become customisable.

Not planning to, just an observation!

Yes, the Hammerhead replaces the entire elecronics. Not that there is much wrong with those, the HH is just different. And if it works as well as it is thought out, probably better, too. The integrated computer is an improvement, as is the HUD. So is the design of the lid, with another space for a fourth cell.

And you're right about a lot of replacable parts. The frame/box can be changed to accomodate larger, external tanks. BCs are frequently changed, as they are very much owner's preference. Adding an ADV ist probably most popular, since the unit should have one in the first place. OC/DSV is another popular change for added safety. The scrubber, by the way, should soon be available from ExtendAir, which means they will most likely sell the cannister, too. So yes, you cold probably put all the parts together to get a complete Frankenrig, scars and all. :wink: Better make sure that you do it right, and really know how to build and dive them. Might just get you into CEDU :rolleyes:

APD can't accomodate every diver. The Inspiration set out to be the first non-technical consumer CCR. Furthermore, they have to comply with CE standards in order to sell the unit in Europe. They have done a very good job. But different people have different needs, it's the most sold CCR on the market, hence the large market of custom parts. Does that really suprise you? :confused:

But feel free to ask, that's what the board is for. :D

Yep, apart from the scrubber my unit is now completely third party product based and I have almost my original Inspiration sitting spare in the bedroom floor

Certain folks are very soon going to be offering "Inspiration Like" rebreathers constructed entirely form 3rd party parts

Madmole do you have a picture
For your Inspiration show us what
Modification you did for it or at least
What it looks like, or just tell us the
Modification, as BCD or Tanks amd
Stuff like this.

one more question in general if I want
to use my back plate ( Dive Rite ) and
my Rec Wing with the Inspiration is
it a good idea and is it to complicated to
do so, or what type of wings you think its
better , I saw some friends using the OMS
twin balder and its just working fine, so
can u give us your modest opinion, or
if any one with any ideas as well. thanks

Dive Rite plate and REC wings will fit stright onto Inspiration. It has 2 standard spacing bolts sticking out like a twinset.

I use RecWings on mine so I know they fit. 5 min job to do. OMS and custom Divers wings are also popular. But DiveRite wings most common

As for pictures, I have a whole web site dedicated to the thing, all the details and pictures in the modifications section of

DiverMole "Your Inspiration Buddy"

Stephen, that ought to be almost enough parts for a nice bailout ... or the the second half for a twinspiration. :D
Did you get the Hammerhead yet? Put some (good, focused) pics and a few words on your site when you do. :wink:

:D You guessed what I'm planning!!!, yep a Twinspiration. 4 x 2L cylinders, 2 scrubbers the primary will be a 5 hour rated radial.

So I'll have a 5 hour primary unit with a 3 hour bailout. Should be good to 140m ish with no side slungs!!!!!! and be the same weight as twin 12's with a stage :D. We are working on a joint scrubber design so the heat from the primary keeps the secondary up to speed

I have a particular 125m Dive I'm aiming at for next year. Undived Virgin wreck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom