Vomiting and headache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi wondering if you have any thoughts on my condition. I sometimes come up from a dive feeling seasick i do suffer from motion sickness and have put it down to all the movement and kelp swaying around have you heard of such a condition or could it be an ear problem?

try drinking these mixes before a dive it helped me! i bought mine at a shop online but some dive boats have them already there cheap and well worth it if u want to know were i bought mine just let me know ill look it up for you. hope i helped

Hi wondering if you have any thoughts on my condition. I sometimes come up from a dive feeling seasick i do suffer from motion sickness and have put it down to all the movement and kelp swaying around have you heard of such a condition or could it be an ear problem?

Soooo first welcome to the board! It would help if your profile was filed in when asking for advice :)

On a different note I think you'll find there are other sections to bring up these types of problems.

It is somewhat odd IMHO as underwater there is usually little movement. It's my experience that sea sickness subsides in sufferers when they hit the water.

One's sense of balance is based on three forms of input: motion being interpreted by your vestibular system (inner ear), data from proprioception (position) sensors in your joints, and information from what you see.
This system of position sensation can get screwed up a little while diving.

In many healthy individuals, it's perfectly normal for the sight of swaying kelp to induce motionsickness. Watching eelgrass sway back and forth in the surge gets me feeling nauseous. I recommend not looking at such things. Focus on something else in your environment. Look at a stationary rock, a moving fish, or your gauges/computer. At least that's what helps me.

try drinking these mixes before a dive it helped me! i bought mine at a shop online but some dive boats have them already there cheap and well worth it if u want to know were i bought mine just let me know ill look it up for you. hope i helped
Mixes? :confused: Kaye said she was prone to motion sickness and we have many threads on such, with varied suggestions.
Soooo first welcome to the board! It would help if your profile was filed in when asking for advice :)

On a different note I think you'll find there are other sections to bring up these types of problems.

It is somewhat odd IMHO as underwater there is usually little movement. It's my experience that sea sickness subsides in sufferers when they hit the water.
Hehe, coming from someone who doesn't have his location in his. :D Actually there is nothing in yours, but that may have changed with recent site changes. I need to check mine. Your logged dives show on your posts but not your profile. :idk:

Looks like it got moved to the right forum, and Bubble gave good advice. Kaye probly called it herself: "put it down to all the movement and kelp swaying" but not everyone has dive kelp beds. If you haven't, it is different.

Kaye,

When exactly do your symptoms occur? If you're subject to motion sickness, it's entirely possible for it to happen while diving, as Bubbletrubble's already pointed out. Also, if you're feeling seasick on the surface, it doesn't necessarily go away once you're in the water.

On another note, the title of your post is "vomiting and headache". Are these the same symptoms you experience from motion sickness on the surface? There are several potential causes of vomiting and headache after diving. In my experience, people who are seasick don't normally complain of a headache, though your and others' experience may be different. It's possible that you're getting a little bit of CO2 buildup while diving. This can happen if your breathing is such that you aren't sufficiently eliminating carbon dioxide. Try being mindful of your breathing - take slow, regular breaths with good volumes. If you're feeling ill before you get in, another possibility is that you are particularly sensitive to diesel or outboard engine exhaust. Exhaust fumes can also exacerbate motion sickness symptoms. If you're not doing so already, you might try to position yourself on the boat where you're not in the thick of them.

Best regards,
DDM

Do you have any feeling of spinning or tumbling while you are on ascent? It IS possible for the two ears to release the pressure at different rates on ascent, and this can lead to vertigo and severe motion sickness. In addition, some of us are prone to disorientation in midwater, and if the things you are looking at are moving in ways that don't make a lot of sense (like kelp laying flat in current) that can make things worse.

But the headache, as DDM says, really argues for CO2 retention (although it could be sinus squeeze as well, which would go back to unequal pressures in the ears).

Back
Top Bottom